Pocketpedia 1.1

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Matsfan

Pocketpedia 1.1

Post by Matsfan »

I just upgraded to Pocketpedia 1.1 and I am impressed with the addition of so many features. I think I am experiencing a problem now though. When I am in a collection that is sync'd with the Mac and I do an Amazon search, I can only add it to a collection in Pocketpedia. I may be wrong but I am pretty sure if I was in DVDpedia and did a search under 1.0 the title would be added to my DVDpedia Wishlist collection.

I tried to select the move option under Pocketpedia to another collection but it only sees collections created within itself. It doesn't see our DVDPedia or Bookpedia collections. Is my memory wrong, did something change, or is there now another way to do this?

Thanks in advance.
ratmice
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Pocketpedia 1.1

Post by ratmice »

Also seems that the sorting options don't work in the sync'ed collections either. Not sure I understand why not.

Since my first posts have all been about problems, I would like to take a minute to say that I have been extremely impressed with the products and have managed to get over 400 DVDs and over 600 CDs in the database in a lazy Saturday. with the addition of syncing to pocketpedia I will never wind up with duplicates (again). Also, I had a silly question which was answered almost immediately, I really appreciate the help.

Thanks for a great product.

-Mat
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We are limiting the adding of entries to the Pocketpedia collection while we work on the backward syncing feature. We want to avoid over writing any entries during an update sync. By adding new entries to only Pocketpedia we can have a technically simple one way sync of the other collections and there is no expectation that added entries should also appear on your DVDpedia desktop collection.

We could have added the sort option to the regular collections as well, it's only since Pocketpedia collection are slightly different than the others that we only happened to work on the Pocketpedia features. We also wanted to keep the others collections a mirror of your desktop version. The sort will carry from your Pedia desktop 4.3.1 version. There are actually more options with the synced collections as one can sort any field in the desktop Pedias. Syncing something like UPC will make very little sense in Pocketpedia as the entries would all be in one section (#); this is why we added the footer so that you can see the 'sorted by' information if necessary.

On a related note, the iPhone OS has a great shortcut, I discovered with this version, which is double tapping the status menu to go to the top of the table. This is a great way to get back to the search field when browsing a large collection.

Thank you for the feedback, glad you are enjoying all the new features. Since 1.1 is out there, we have already started working on 1.2.
Matsfan

Post by Matsfan »

Conor wrote:We are limiting the adding of entries to the Pocketpedia collection while we work on the backward syncing feature. We want to avoid over writing any entries during an update sync. By adding new entries to only Pocketpedia we can have a technically simple one way sync of the other collections and there is no expectation that added entries should also appear on your DVDpedia desktop collection.
Thanks for the quick response. Does that mean it never did this and there are currently no plans to have it do so? I agree we need to maintain data integrity and if this is a trade-off, I'll find a way to work around it or simply re-enter the titles when in front of the computer the next time as I did yesterday.

Thanks again.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It never did it but we do have plans to implement it in a future version. We are still in the early planning stages and haven't reached the actual technical implementation yet. Re-entering the items on the Desktop is the current work around.
Matsfan

Post by Matsfan »

Conor wrote:It never did it but we do have plans to implement it in a future version. We are still in the early planning stages and haven't reached the actual technical implementation yet. Re-entering the items on the Desktop is the current work around.
Very good. Thanks for the response and great (and always improving it seems) products.
Ben.d

Post by Ben.d »

Hello,

This version is really great! This search will help a lot and I like that it keeps the sorting option from Bookpedia.
However, about this last feature, I'd like to point out something: My sorting is first on the "series" field so does it keep in Pocketpedia. But you can only see (and search) the title. Would it be possible to display the first sorted field in the list as well as allowing to search on it. I know this is probably an uncommon request but if you could add it on your list and have a look on it when you have time, that would be great!

Anyway I am impressed with this app. This is the most useful app on my iPod touch I have installed. Great job!

Thanks,

Benjamin
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. A few users have requested that the sub title in the list display be customizable. Pocketpedia was designed to be a light in order to take full advantage of the iPhone. It will take a while before we are able to re-write the internals and learn more about iPhone programming to be able to fit in all the requests; but, we are writing them down and keeping them in mind.
katmford
Inductee
Inductee

Post by katmford »

Will the backwards syncing from DVDPedia to Pocketpedia be in the next update? I found Pocketpedia before I found the Mac software, so now I have my collection split between the two applications. I would love to be able to sync from my iPhone to my Mac....
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The backward sync will take some time as it's something that is very hard to do correctly. But send us your Pocketpedia database and we can import into the Pedias for you. Hold down the option key and select "Pocketpedia" under the help menu in any of the Pedias, then use the sync button in Pocketpedia; this will copy the database to Pocketpedia.sql on your desktop, email us that file.