How do your organize your magazines?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

How do your organize your magazines?

Post by jenv »

Now that I've got my comics sorted out, I'm on to my magazines. How have you all been setting up your magazine entries in Bookpedia?

Comics:
"The Avengers (1963)"
Title: The Avengers
Series: 1963
Issue Number: Custom field (same as used to sequence book series like Elric or Lord of the Isles).
jemillion
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How do your organize your magazines?

Post by jemillion »

I would be really interested in how you would organize your magazines. I have a collection of thousands of Woodworker Magazines of various Titles and many years worth. Also have to know what issues I am missing to search on ebay etc for them.

Anyone have a cluse how you would do this? The hard part is getting the information entered like you do with books.

The covers are all different and are important for searching etc.

Thanks for anyones help

jim
DJFriar

Post by DJFriar »

I'm curious about this as well.....
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Do you guys know if there is a good and reliable site that catalogs magazines where we could pull information from? I'm not speaking for the developers so don't hold me to this, but if there were such a site, maybe a plugin could be developed to get magazine info. Some of our users have already developed several plugins (not for magazines though, I'm just speaking in general here).

Of course the problem here would be that for this to be truly useful, the site would have to catalog also the content of each issue of the magazine. A daunting task.

I'm thinking the columns field would be ideal for a quick rundown of the content you are interested in for each issue. Still, typing it by hand can get old pretty quickly.

Cheers
jemillion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jemillion »

I know that for most of the woodworking magazines. they have already a printed or downloadable index of articles etc. for their entire magazine issues. I don't know how to get that information into the database but the most important thing now is.... being able to track which issues I have so I can shop for lost issues or missing issues etc. The content of each issue is secondary sinc each magazine has an index of content either online or printable.

Thanks

Jim
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Well, initially I would suggest a custom field called Issue Number as jenv has done for comics. Would that do the trick?