Possible to share a library to multiple machines?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Possible to share a library to multiple machines?

Post by Conor »

If it's only you on both computers then it's impossible for you to be using two DVDpedia's simultaneously, and there is no conflict. With two users, what I meant by one user being a read only user was more about using DVDpedia and not strictly enforced via permissions. Of course permissions would be excellent since it would lock one user from doing changes accidentally. For example say you have an office computer and a living room computer. If you know that you will be adding all the movies in the living room then the office computer would be for browsing only. As long as you don't add, edit or borrow movies at the office there would never be a conflict.
boumboum
Contributor
Contributor

Post by boumboum »

Conor wrote:If it's only you on both computers then it's impossible for you to be using two DVDpedia's simultaneously, and there is no conflict.
Do you mean I could simply use the share folder functionality from OS X to make a all database and images available to two users on two computers on the same network ?
I have never try this. Should be simple.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Do you mean I could simply use the share folder functionality from OS X to make a all database and images available to two users on two computers on the same network?
You can place the data folder in a shared location and use it simultaneously. Depending on OS X version, the share type and the architectures Core Data will even try to merge changes if both DVDpedia's are running. If merging is not possible then one DVDpedia will be locked out if it tries to make a change until the other DVDpedia quits. Has to do with locking mechanisms available on the systems to Core Data. For example PowerPC based systems lock the file as long as DVDpedia is running and simultaneous writing is not possible.

The possibilities and options are many. Best to try different setups and find out what works best for your workflow. As with all tests, and even in regular situations, be sure to backup often and to a separate location.
Meh1965

Post by Meh1965 »

I tried sharing following the instructions. Om my MacBook it works like a charm. I then transferred the DVDpedia folder to my networkdrive. I opened DVDpedia on my iMac and I miss out on the following:

-adjusted field names (first tab of the preferences)
-field lay out of the add / change window (third tab of the preferences)

They just haven't been transferred. Not only are they missing on the preference tabs but also on the actual windows lay out.

I noticed that the auto fill values for my customized fields have been transferred to my iMac.

Can anyone help me out on this issue?
boumboum
Contributor
Contributor

Post by boumboum »

Can't help you but I would like to post my tests with DropBox

I have moved the all Bookpedia'lib folder in my drop box.
This includes those files and folders :
Covers
Database.pediadata
backup1Month.pediadata
backup2Months.pediadata
backup3Months.pediadata
autofill.xml
tempPage.html
Plug-ins
Templates

This workflow works fine with my two Macs : we never work on the "same" lib at the same time. If it would be a conflict of modified date DropBox would tell me.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The preference for those settings are stored in the preference file of DVDpedia. You can copy this file to bring the settings over (in the future we might include custom field names with the database instead of in the preference to make that easier). The file is located in your home folder at ~/Library/Preferences/com.brtuji.dvdpedia.plist.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:(in the future we might include custom field names with the database instead of in the preference to make that easier)
Glad to know that's still a possibility. I'm curious the reason for choosing to save them in the preferences file; forgot if you mentioned that during previous discussion of the issue.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I'm curious the reason for choosing to save them in the preferences file
The name of the custom fields is used for the column headers and these are loaded early on by the Mac OS X system, with the built in preferences one can be assured that the data would be available for that. Core Data (the database) is one of the last loaded resources, but it does have a metadata area that could be read early in order store the custom fields with the database, but would require additional code. When using the prebuilt functions it makes maintenance easier. Also everything else in that window was part of the preference file it so it made some sense to store those values there.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:You can place the data folder in a shared location and use it simultaneously. Depending on OS X version, the share type and the architectures Core Data will even try to merge changes if both DVDpedia's are running.
I'd like to merge the smaller DVDpedia library on my MBP into the primary one on my mini, then share it.

Would it work to do .dvdpedia exports of each independent collection on the MBP, import them on the mini, then run Show Duplicates and manually resolve conflicts? Or can you recommend a better way to do the merging?

Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Since DVDpedia not built to merge two databases automatically you are correct that a .dvdpedia export file would be the way to merge two distinct libraries.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Thanks, Conor. Mission accomplished. :)