Tracking read but not owned books

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
kongjie

Tracking read but not owned books

Post by kongjie »

I wonder how people use Bookpedia to keep track of books they have read but no longer own? I see there is a place to enter details on when and how a book was sold, which I guess I could use when I send a book on its way. Any other good ways to do this? I'm looking at reducing my library and keeping notes on books I have read.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Tracking read but not owned books

Post by Conor »

I drop them into an excluded collection I call "Read from Friends". I then have the preference set not to include excluded collection in smart collections. This way only the books I own show up in my smart collection such as author is "Orson Scott Card". I use Bookpedia as a library manager, if your focus is more book review manager then you would want those books to show up this wouldn't be the right setup. Other options are a custom fields as "Owned" and fill it with yes or no. If you want to be even more specific you could use the location field and mark where you got the book from "Friend Joe", "Public Library", "Sold it"... This is the one case where I don't use a field, I tend to prefer the fields for really important information as you can then work with that in smart collections and exports to HTML.