Thank you, Bruji and Mathieu!

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
PauHana658
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Thank you, Bruji and Mathieu!

Post by PauHana658 »

I've slowly been converting the family DVD/VHS collection to digital files stored on an external drive. The other day, the wife -- not normally a tv person and most definitely NOT technically inclined -- asked about "Heroes," which I had just added to DVDpedia. She wanted the big-screen tv experience and didn't want to watch them on a computer or deal with the DVDs. So I connected my MBP to the big Sony tv and showed the wife how to use Front Row with the DVDpedia plug-in to access the show files. She was blown away by how easy it was to access and watch the tv show files. I then showed her all the movie files that I had been importing into DVDpedia, and she was again blown away by the ease of browsing and the depth of the information available -- much easier than trying to browse the DVDs stored under the tv. Now she's watching an episode or two of Heroes each day with no help from me.

Of course, I get kicked off my MBP every time she wants to watch an episode. When I explained the problem -- it's my work machine and I can't get any work done while she's watching Heroes -- she asked if there was a solution. I said, yes, a Mac Mini placed under the tv and connected to the tv and the various external hard drives holding our media collections. She suggested I get the Mini right away, 'cause this DVDpedia/Front Row thing was terrific!

So, thank you, Bruji and Mathieu Guindon (creator of the plug-in)! The Mini is the final piece we need for our home media center, but I had no hope at all of winning permission to get one any time soon. But thanks to the amazing combination of DVDpedia and the Front Row plug-in, we'll soon have a home entertainment system that that whole family (including Luddite Wife) will be able to use and enjoy!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Thank you, Bruji and Mathieu!

Post by Conor »

We love making a program that compels buying more Macs. Congratulations on the approval for the purchase but wait on it until tomorrow as I feel there might be a new Mac Mini announced tomorrow at Macworld. Some rumors say it's something more AppleTV-media-central type announcement – we hope not, as it would be stealing DVDpedia's spotlight.

Mathieu has done a great job on the plug-in with almost no help from us, he jumped into Mac development and is very talented. Thank you for picking DVDpedia as your first Mac project.