Cite Keys

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
scha

Cite Keys

Post by scha »

Is there a support for Cite Keys? From BibDesk http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net/ I am used to have a special string that I can type in my writing app and a reference to the books is made automaticly.
Can Bookpedia do that?
Or is it possible to export the library from BookPedia to BibDesk and a certain field is recognized as Cite Key?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Cite Keys

Post by Conor »

Bookpedia has a drag and drop support for creating MLA bibliographies for books, hold down the option key while dragging (you will also find this option under the edit menu). However, for more technical papers a special format is needed. Bookpedia has as BibTeX export that will let you import the information into BibDesk and use Cite Keys. You will find the export under the export text tab, select the text template and choose BibTeX.
scha

Post by scha »

Thank you for your answer and your drag&drop tip.

Maybe it isn´t impossible what I want or my language-skills didn´t explain my problem right:
Is there a semantic field in BookPedia for using CiteKeys? When I import BookPedia´s text-export into BibDesk the CiteKeys are generated by BibDesk. I don´t want that, I want a Key that I earlier typed in a field in BookPedia.

I guess that`s not possible, is it?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

That is a question for BibDesk. I am not sure if you can tell BibDesk what you would like the Cite Key to be. I would guess that the BibTeX format would have a field for the key. Press the "edit" button in the text export tab after selecting BibTeX. This will create a MyBibTeX template that you can modify.

I believe it might be the key after the @book{ on the first line. At the moment it's the ISBN number, try changing it to your cite key field. For example if your key is in the custom one field you would change:

Code: Select all

<!--BeginRepeat-->@book{[key:isbn],
would be:

<!--BeginRepeat-->@book{[key:custom1],
You also have to make sure to tell BibDesk not to auto generate it's own Cite Key and overwrite the one in the import file under the Cite Key preference pane.

Another option is to add the key field, but I believe that is for something else:

key = {[key:custom1]},
scha

Post by scha »

Conor wrote:

<!--BeginRepeat-->@book{[key:isbn],
would be:

<!--BeginRepeat-->@book{[key:custom1],
Fantastic! That does the trick.