refresh itunes tracks

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
askewgk

refresh itunes tracks

Post by askewgk »

I'm a new user, just purchased complete bundle this week and think these programs are great. I have been using my external isight with a 17 powerbook running os x10.4.11 and it works great with dvdpedia. I was able to scan in my entire dvd and vhs tape library in a matter of hour and was quite happy. I thought I would give cdpedia a try.

I tried to import my playlist from itunes but was unsuccessful. My itunes library is stored on an external drive and cdpedia can't seem to find it. (I can click and play tracks from cdpedia through itunes). I then exported my itunes library and imported that into cdpedia with no problem. What I wanted to try next was to refresh my itunes tracks. Do I need to add ( using search or cd scan) the physical cd into cdpedia, then use "refresh itunes tracks" so i can have an indicator of which disk i physically have and imported into itunes?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: refresh itunes tracks

Post by Conor »

As you mention, CDpedia can't find the iTunes library file to import the information from. Using the program Terminal you can remove the saved location by running this command after opening Terminal:

Code: Select all

defaults delete com.bruji.cdpedia "iTunes Library XML"

With no saved location for the file it's going to look in the default location, so make sure that there is no file in your home folder at "~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml". Next time you run "Refresh iTunes Tracks" from the help menu it should ask for the location of the iTunes Music Library.xml file and you can point it to your external hard drive.

Now that I write about it, I realize you could also set the saved location of the file directly in the Terminal with:

Code: Select all

defaults write com.bruji.cdpedia "iTunes Library XML" "drag the iTunes Music Library.xml from your external drive here"
Paste only the first part of the command up to the penultimate quote, drag the file, close quotes, enter key.
askewgk

Re: refresh itunes tracks

Post by askewgk »

Thanks. I was able use the first method you suggested in terminal, where the reference was deleted and then it asked me for the Itunes location. I selected the new location and now things work like a charm. Thanks again.