best way to include album (vinyl) information

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
askewgk

best way to include album (vinyl) information

Post by askewgk »

I am using cdpedia on a 17 powerbook with os x10.4.11. I have a large collection of vinyl albums that I would like to keep track of using cdpedia. I have figured out how to use a custom field to indicate whether the title came from a cd or vinyl. What I am having difficulty doing is searching for the equivalent cd/album tag information. What I would like to do is a search using the vinyl title or artist and gracenote by using the Itunes cd info plugin, but I have note been able to get that to work. When I click on the plugin Itunes opens but nothing else happens. Am I missing something or is there a better way to accomplish this? Thanks in advance.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: best way to include album (vinyl) information

Post by Nora »

The iTunes CD info plug-in is set to work with scanned CDs only because it needs to read the disc ID off the CD and then uses that to gather the information from Gracenote CDDB. To do a search by keyword (title, artist, label, etc.), you have to use the search sites available in the search window.
askewgk

Post by askewgk »

Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, can gracenote cddb be added as one of the search sites? I thought I read in earlier posts that there was a cost involved which is why it is being done through Itunes. I know I would be willing to pay a little more to have that feature built in instead of always using Itunes. I think that that would make this already great program even better. thanks again.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We use Freedb.org that is the open version of Gracenote. You can do title searches on Freedb by using the gear button on the lower right of the add/edit window. Without the DiscID, it will do the search based on title and artist. The same applies for the Amazon sites. We have considered Gracenote but it seems we are too small to have access to their database.