Moving Locations

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
corowakid
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Moving Locations

Post by corowakid »

Sorry if this has been asked before, but a search didn't turn anything relevant. I've got Bookpedia and have my collection spread over 12 locations. I am considering changing books around between locations, and can't determine the correct procedure.

Say I want to move a book from Location 1 to Location 2. AFAIK, I can drag and drop the title, but the original location stays the same in the Library.I'm supposing that I'll have to revise the Location box in "Extra" in the book data to show the new Location, then drag and drop the book from Location 1 to Location 2, then delete the book from Location 1. Is this the way to do it, or is there a simpler way? I appreciate there's a database involved in all this, and changing entries might require me to hack the entry in another way - if so, can anyone enlighten me please? Its not a trivial enquiry, I'm facing a move, and have 2500 books, so there could be some massive changes involved. Many thanks for any help.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Moving Locations

Post by Conor »

There are two ways to go about it.

Drag and drop the entries from collection one to collection two and then when you are done with the days work, you can select all the entries in a collection one and update the location field on all of them at once to match the collection. Then sort the books by location in collection two and remove all the ones where the location does not match and hence have been moved to the collection one.

The other way is to update the location field for each book in the Library as you move it and then create smart collections based on the location field to group the books together by location and delete the regular collection you currently have.

From your description it sounds like you would be more comfortable with the first method.
corowakid
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by corowakid »

Thanks for that - I'm basically using method 1 after I thought deep about it. Its a great program, and has been great for us 2 oldies who sometimes (most times) can't remember where the book we're looking for is stored. My daughter registered a copy a couple of weeks ago, and she mentioned how it improved her library.

I'm also using DVDpedia, and so far, so good. I've found a lot of answers for some of the problems I've encountered (TV shows, HBO series etc), and have now got the library where I want it. My daughter saw it when she visited last week, and I'd bet she registers her copy real quick.

They say support is what sets software apart from its peers, and in your case that's certainly true. Great work from you all.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Thanks for the feedback and for helping us spread the word about the Pedias! It's always great to hear when our programs are really helping people (oldies or not). :)