Import from Books?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
KristenM

Import from Books?

Post by KristenM »

I've been using Books for about a year now but being freeware, the functionality is low and I'm looking around at different software to organize my library. I have over 400 books in my Books database and have tried every export type but cannot figure out if it's possible to import to Bookpedia.
It seems that every type of export results in an xml file.
Is there a way around this that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Kristen
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Import from Books?

Post by Conor »

Hi Kristen,

Books is a great program and Chris Karr a very helpful guy who has even been so kind as to mention Bookpedia (it's not everyday that you run into competitors hyping each other). :wink:

Bookpedia should be able to handle the tab delimited export from Books, but I have gone ahead and created an import for the XML. Export using the "books folder exporter" and then drag the resulting XML over the Bookpedia beta version.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. When I try to import the xml file that I exported from Books using tab-delimited text importor, it won't allow me to do it...when I go to import I cannot choose that file to open.
I tried exporting in all the different formats, including the books folder exporter and it says file format not recognized.
I'm not quite sure why this is so difficult!
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Hello KristenM,

If you are having problems with the file, send it to us via our support email located on our support page and we can take a look at it, try importing it, etc.

Cheers
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The import from the XML is only in the beta version linked above. For the tab delimited export rename the file and add the suffix ".txt". Because Books does not label the file as a text file Bookpedia does not let you select it for importing, adding the extension will be enough to denote that it's a text file.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

That did it. Thanks!