Frames - HTML Template

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Axel
Captain
Captain

Frames - HTML Template

Post by Axel »

Hi,

I cannot figure out how to build a template with frames with normal HTML.
I would just like to split the basic template in two frames, but is there a way to rename the 3 resulting files (appart from the linked names) so bookpedia understands it's only one template?

Uploading every single page of my library every time I buy a new book is a real pain.

Does somebody knows a way to do that please?

Many thanks for your advises.

Axel
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Frames - HTML Template

Post by Conor »

Depending on your template this post might be interesting.

Any HTML file that ends with "Details" will not show up in the export templates list. Extra files used in a template would go in the images folder for that template. The case with frames is tricky because the main index.html file is not meant for Bookpedia but needs to be in the root folder you must add it afterwards to the export folder. Another option is to structure your site in a way that you only update a folder containing the Bookpedia information.
Axel
Captain
Captain

Post by Axel »

Hi Conor,

Many thanks for your help...As usual you are quick and helpful.

The ideas you've given me are really interesting, and I like the one with unique ID for entries...Unfortunately I am not sure that's really what I want to achieve.
My need is fairly simple but I think I was bad at explaining it although you understood the rough idea.

I am happily using the "SortedIndexWithStats" template. The Books are sorted by Series.
I just want to achieve that:

That way after buying a new book, I'll just have to upload 3 files:
- Menu page
- New Book's page
- New Book's Cover Image

Do you think it's achievable?

Many thanks for your time

Axel
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the exact details and the screenshot, helps me get the picture (pun intended). Unfortunately what you want to do is not possible at the moment.

Bookpedia at the moment names the pages sequentially. So if a new book is added that creates a new series not present on the site then all the series links after that new series will be off. Say a new series "Diana" is created then "Diaviolo" will now link to "Diosamante" since the "Diosamante" page was not updated to the new URL. There are so many subtleties that updating the export to make this possible and still works in every case is quite tricky (there quite a number of special cases). I will keep all this in mind when updating the export: being smarter about modification dates for pages with several movies on them and improve the index so that the names of the links stay the same. As it is right now 150 HTML pages (approximate number of series you have) and one new book image after a change should not be too much to upload on a decent internet connection. Simple is also better from a developers point of view, but I do understand that smaller updates would be nicer.

I experimented a while with the frames and create a two template export, one for the index and one for the main information. But at the end I wasn't able to get around the fact that the index links would load in the index frame. The menu is created by Bookpedia so the secondary frame can not be targeted by the links in the index. Now I know the limitations to that approach and all the changes that would be required.
Axel
Captain
Captain

Post by Axel »

Hi Conor,

Many tahnks for your reply...now I know what I was trying to achieve is not possible.
In fact I've got around 800 series for few thousand books, and my ADSL is not so good, that's why I was trying to gain time on upload with a frame system...

But it is ok, I'll be more patient when I upload ;-)

Again many thanks for your time and kindness.

Axel
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We are always trying to improve the program, so it's important to know what users are looking for. Also how they are using the program and in what environment (slow ADSL lines). :)