PocketPedia Update

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
DrPaul
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: PocketPedia Update

Post by DrPaul »

Fair enough.

I assume you realise that all submissions to the App Store must now be OS 3.0 compatible; if not it will not be approved.
Also as soon as 3.0 is available to customers any apps in the store that are not compatible will be removed by Apple?
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

DrPaul wrote:I assume you realise that all submissions to the App Store must now be OS 3.0 compatible; if not it will not be approved.
I'd heard that, but not:
Also as soon as 3.0 is available to customers any apps in the store that are not compatible will be removed by Apple?
Makes sense for the long term but could likely be an unpleasant surprise to a significant number of customers. Seems anyone who wants current software from the App Store better get it soon if they're not intending to upgrade to 3.0.

I wonder why Apple news sites haven't picked up on that yet (or it's been in my blind spot). Thanks for mentioning it.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We are using (9M2735) and have no problems, but I expect the next beta version released at WWDC next week to be very close to the final version and will do rigorous testing with that version. Dr Paul, could you please send us the crash logs with 3.0 so that I can try to duplicate the crash. You will find the crash report in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/[phonename]/Pocketpedia_DATE_Device.crash Also if you don't mind please email us your Database.pediadata file located in ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Database.pediadata as the crash could be related to some small detail such as the sorting of a collection or a bit of data that the Pocketpedia can't parse. Thank you for alerting us to look deeper.
SuperTricolor
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by SuperTricolor »

Nora wrote:Pocketpedia already syncs all the fields over from the desktop Pedias, including the custom fields. Is this not the case for you? (There's no option yet in Pocketpedia to search all fields but this will come with the next version update.)
Yes, my point was not that clear. What I was hoping for was a search option and a way to say which field I can sort by. For instance, my 700+ DVD collection is all concerts. This means that the "director" option which is the default on the listing of DVDs on pocketpedia is not that useful. I had to create a field for the artist. For instance, for "The Wall" I have "Pink Floyd" as the artist. For me it would be nice to be able to define the fields on pocketpedia which are displayed on the default list then sort the entries based on that.

But for now the search option that looks at other fields would already be a big improvement.

BTW. What is the schedule for the update currently?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Thanks for the clarification on that. We'll keep that idea about defining your own subtitle in mind for the future. The beta testers are hard at work on the new Pocketpedia and hopefully we'll be able to submit the new version to the App Store soon. After that it depends on Apple's approval process how long it'll take for the update to come out.
Chaomino

Post by Chaomino »

Which features will hace the new version ?

Can we search for a DVD at the Iphone's Spotlight ?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

There is no Spotlight API available in iPhone OS 3.0. The search is reserved for Apple own applications, as you will notice from the Spotlight preferences. We hope in upcoming versions of iPhone OS that will be a possibility. Since the technology exists already on the Mac OS X and we have an importer for that, we think it just a matter of time and mobile processors getting better to handle a larger index.

The next version will be out soon, but the main feature is two way sync. Finally allowing you to borrow that DVD on the go or add items to your wish list at the store.
Chaomino

Post by Chaomino »

Two way sync ??!!

Yeah! The best feature possible. :D :D

This will make Pocketpedia the best cataloguer APP, no doubt!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We did quite a lot of work to implement the two way sync. So we are starting with that change as is the most important and then have a number of things planned for the future. I am glad you will appreciate it. No idea how long the update is going to take to be approved by Apple.
JamesX1

Post by JamesX1 »

is there still a version in the works for 2 way sync or is this no longer in the works because of the app being pulled from itunes?
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

JamesX1 wrote:is there still a version in the works for 2 way sync or is this no longer in the works because of the app being pulled from itunes?
Probably. Pocketpedia discussion has mostly moved to that thread.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Two way sync will probably be part of the next version of Pocketpedia, yes. It won't be as useful anymore since there won't be a search in Pocketpedia to add new entries.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Nora wrote:It won't be as useful anymore since there won't be a search in Pocketpedia to add new entries.
Will it be possible to manually add entries with basic info, later sync to the desktop version and download more details, then sync that back to Pocketpedia?

What I'd specifically like is to enter titles of possible interest in Pocketpedia while at a video store, sync them back to DVDpedia for editing, then sync the more complete remainder back to Pocketpedia.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Manual adding will probably not make it into this next version of Pocketpedia but it's definitely something we'd like to include in the future. (We are going to start simple with this Pocketpedia and then move towards adding more features.)
SuperTricolor
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by SuperTricolor »

I've been waiting for the update and notice just now that PocketPedia is no longer available? I confess that carrying my collection with me on the iPhone is most important feature of the "pedias". So are there plans to release something else? Maybe without the Amazon features? For people with large collections (I have 4000+ cds and 600+ dvds) it is crucial that I have my collection database with me to avoid acquiring duplicates. Please let me know.