Notes on Books in PocketPedia?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Rocksgal

Notes on Books in PocketPedia?

Post by Rocksgal »

Hello. Can you add notes to books added through PocketPedia. For example, if I am adding a bunch of books that are in a series, I would like to be able to identify which number they are in the series so that I read them in order. If there was some kind of note field, that would be helpful. I know you can add custom fields in Bookpedia, which I have added one for series, as I like to read books that are part of a series, and I would like to be able to identify them this was in Pocketpedia as well.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Notes on Books in PocketPedia?

Post by Conor »

There is a series field in Bookpedia so there is no need to use a custom field for that information. Pocketpedia being the lite and mobile version of the Pedias has limited sorting options but will carry the sorting from Bookpedia when syncing. So if you sub-sort your collection by the series column by clicking on the header for the series column and then back on the title column books with the same title will be sub sorted by series number. Although with Books it's quite likely that the titles of books in the series differ and the sub sorting will never occur. It's better then to use the sort title to sort the books by series number instead of alphabetically. To turn on the sort title field look for it in the preferences under the fields tab.

What you would want then for example with Lord of the Rings is:
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

The sort tile would be:
Lord of the Rings: 1
Lord of the Rings: 2
Lord of the Rings: 3

Still use the series field for the information as this will be displayed in Pocketpedia in the details view and can be used for sorting independently of the title.
Rocksgal

Post by Rocksgal »

Yes, I understand that and I use that when I have entered series in Bookpedia and synced to Pocketpedia. I have it sorted by series number and that works nicely. What I am wondering is, is there an additional notes field or something in Pocketpedia where I can note series order.

For example, when I am bored at work and looking on the internet for new things to read. . . :)

I find a new series I would like to try. I add the books into my Pocketpedia app in their own collection. In your example, one called "Lord of the Rings". I add all the titles to the collection. It would be nice if there was some kind of notes field so that when I go to the library in a few weeks/months, I can look at my Pocketpedia collection and know which book to get first from the library. Right now, I have no idea which book comes first in the series.

This may be easier once backwards syncing comes into play, but it would be nice if more of the fields that are in bookpedia were also editable in pocketpedia when I add books on the fly on my iphone. So, if the series field were available for me to fill in in pocketpedia, that would be wonderful. Maybe there can be a choice of 3-5 fields that we can select in bookpedia that we want to also be available in pocketpedia. We would select the fields in some options in bookpedia and then be able to edit those field in pocketpedia. I realize that it is unrealistic to have all fields available in pocketpedia as there are probably 2 dozen or more in bookpedia, but having the option to choose a few of them would be nice.

Make sense? I hope I am explaining this well. . .
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the thorough description. Makes perfect sense, there is a notes field but it not yet editable in Pocketpedia like all the other fields. Once we have implemented editing you will be able to add that information into the notes or directly into the series field.
Sally
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Sally »

A workaround I use with a collection is to add a number to the title. For instance, I collect the Brother Cadfael books here in the UK, and I have the titles listed as C01: A morbid Taste for Bones; C02: One Corpse too Many, etc. This keeps them in series order rather than alphabetical order, and other titles by the same author fall into place alphabetically. Don't know if this will help you for the time being.