Quick-fetch for all marked?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Anso
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Quick-fetch for all marked?

Post by Anso »

I'm using Gamepedia and recently I'm thinking of fetching the price of my games from Amazon. Is there any way to fetch and auto-fill for a game and, if so, is there a way to do this for multiple games at once? Would save me a LOT of time ;)
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Quick-fetch for all marked?

Post by Nora »

If you didn't get the initial data from Amazon, i.e. the price isn't included yet, select all your entries, choose 'Get advanced info' from the Advanced menu and the program will automatically download the information from Amazon for the whole batch, including the price.

Please note though that doing batch updates like this means that the program always downloads the first available result returned for an entry, you will not be able to check its accuracy until after all the information has been downloaded. If you'd prefer to have more control over the results returned, open the Edit window for an entry and click on the gear button to choose Amazon. That'll start the same 'Get advanced info' command but if there's more than one result now, you'll be able to choose the correct one in the little drawer that pops out of the side of the edit window.

However, if your entries have an ASIN number then you will get an exact result and you can update the price this way at any time by first clearing the field using the multiple edit.
Anso
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Anso »

Yeah, but this would overwrite all data I already have in the OTHER fields, right?
I just want to fetch the price and nothing else :(
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

No, the Pedias never overwrite any fields that already contain data. Only those fields that are empty will be filled with information. (So if you want to update a field for information, you'd have to delete the information inside the field first and then do an advanced search.)
Anso
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Anso »

Oh, fantastic, I did not know! Now I love you guys even more :3
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Nora wrote:No, the Pedias never overwrite any fields that already contain data. Only those fields that are empty will be filled with information. (So if you want to update a field for information, you'd have to delete the information inside the field first and then do an advanced search.)
That's an example of the type of info I wish had been [more] clearly documented. If it's already in Help I hadn't noticed it.