Separating tags in Bookpedia?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
PostCuratorial

Separating tags in Bookpedia?

Post by PostCuratorial »

Another newbie question...understanding sorting options is very important to deciding whether to use Bookpedia or not. So my question:

As I'm testing out Bookpedia, I've tried using the TAGS column to create a way to sort a collection for HTML export. So far, every attempt to add multiple tags to a single book results in a single tag combining several words. I would like to assign multiple tags to a single book and have each tag be separately clickable: "tag1", "tag2", "tag3", etc. Instead, no matter how I enter the tags or which HTML template I use, all the tags for a single book come out as a single concatenated hyperlink such as "tag1 tag2 tag3"

I've tried separating the tags in several different ways, such as:
tag1 tag2 tag3
tag1, tag2, tag3
"tag1" "tag2" "tag3"

So, is there a unique system Bookpedia uses for separating tags, or a setting I'm missing? Or can you only have 1 tag for an HTML export? Is there a setting in the HTML file I could change?

Thanks.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Separating tags in Bookpedia?

Post by Nora »

The separator for the tags field is a comma.
PostCuratorial

Post by PostCuratorial »

If so, then I don't understand why the comma separator isn't working for me. I thought commas as well. In the Infoview screen, I've tried adding multiple tags, separated by commas, several times. Here's an example of a tag string I've entered into the TAG column (without quote marks): "curating, essays, collections"

When the collection is exported to HTML, the tags are not separated into individual words. Now, I've experimented with almost every template, and the results are the same. And I've looked at every settings option to see if I'm missing something.

Any ideas? I just downloaded Bookpedia yesterday. Could this be a limitation of the trial version (I haven't entered 25 books yet)?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The multiple tags are only handled inside the program. It's on our to do list to extend this to the word separation HTML export feature, however, I can't give you a release date as it does require a lot of work. We would need to rework our entire export function that is quite complex. It's currently built to handle the books in a sequential order and creates each page in the process. In the case of including one single book in multiple tagged separated pages it would need to process the entire list before hand to create each page. Do refer to your [url=http://www.bruji.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13100#p13100]other post[/ur] where I mention using the SQL database directly online, it means you have more freedom to create an interactive site.
PostCuratorial

Post by PostCuratorial »

Conor,

Thanks for the explanation here, and the more in-depth SQL advice on the other question. I was actually surprised to find the tagging function at all in HTML and not SQL, and that definitely explains the difficulty.

I may use the multiple export workaround for now, and slowly try to devlop something more elegant. I'm still teaching myself the more involved SQL stuff, but if I eventually find a more flexible workaround on the backend of Bookpedia, I'll be sure to post it and share.

Despite this, I'm still leaning pretty heavily towards using Bookpedia, as it seems to be one of the most flexible, useful and intuitive programs of its kind. Thanks again.