PocketPedia 2 is in the App Store!

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Miesmacher
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: PocketPedia 2 is in the App Store!

Post by Miesmacher »

Well, my lists of books now read "Not synched" for about half the entries. I know this has to do with the Amazon issue and is not necessarily your fault - but like this it is quite useless for me. Or am I doing something wrong?
V.S.
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by V.S. »

I'm so happy pocketpedia 2 has released... have been eagerly waiting for it. it's a brilliant companion for DVDpedia.. Great job!!!
I would like to know if there's a way to add movies to a collection? Even if I could just add the name in pocketpedia, that would do.. then i could update rest of the data on my Mac.
Nanook
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Nanook »

Miesmacher wrote:Well, my lists of books now read "Not synched" for about half the entries. I know this has to do with the Amazon issue and is not necessarily your fault - but like this it is quite useless for me. Or am I doing something wrong?
This is happening to me, too, and I doubt it's related to the Amazon issue. My syncs are quitting before they are finished, so I'm getting "not synced" entries in my DVD libraries, and some that are synced are missing covers, which of course are in the Mac app. I've gotten another error telling me I need 4.5.4, which is the running version.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

"Not synced" for the title means there was a network error during the sync and Pocketpedia2 was unable to get all the information. Try running the sync by connecting directly to your computer. Under the airport menu select create network and then on your iPhone select the new network from under the settings program and re-try the sync. Also please take a look at your console log with the program of the same name in your utilities folder and send me any errors from DVDpedia as it would report any network problems.

Update: I forgot to mention you can hold down the option key in the Pedias as you press the sync button in Pocketpedia2 to tell it you want to sync all the information again, in case Pocketpedia2 thinks it need not update the "not synced" entries.
steve_nz@mac.com

Post by steve_nz@mac.com »

Hi there, so great to have PocketPedia in the app store again (missed out on it the 1st time)...

Thanks so much! :D

Stephen

Christchurch
New Zealand.
DavidK44

Post by DavidK44 »

Nice to have the program available for everyone again. It definitely fills a need.

My version has the list page running from Z to A, top to bottom, which is the reverse of what it was previously. Is this a bug, or can it be reversed to run A to Z top to bottom? It doesn't affect usability, obviously, but it just seems a bit off...

I hope it gets great reviews on the App Store! I left a positive one.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi David,

The backward index is a new feature. Pocketpedia2 will respect the current ascending or descending order of the Pedias. Click on your title column in the desktop Pedia to flip the sort order to descending. This was an important feature request for users who sort their movies by date added, where it makes more sense to have the newer movies at the top of the list.
DAK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DAK »

Conor wrote:DVDpedia does not keep a tag for each field from where the information came from. It uses the URL field that links back to Amazon to determine that at some point some of the information came from Amazon. It then does not sync all the details for that entry to respect the term of agreement with Amazon. We hope there might be a change to the TOS in the future in which case we can enable a full sync for items with an Amazon URL link back. So even though you personally wrote the summary DVDpedia has no way of knowing that the summary is not from Amazon.
So do items with an Amazon URL get partially synced (i.e. some data is left out) or are they omitted from the sync entirely? If the latter, then Pocketpedia will be virtually useless to me, since it appears that almost all of my BookPedia entries have an Amazon link in the URL field. If the former, then can you clarify exactly which fields are left out of the sync?

Would removing all URL information enable full sync for the entire library? If so, then since the Pedias have a plug-in API, is it possible for a third party (e.g. me) to write a plug-in that strips the data from the URL field of every item in the library?
Miesmacher
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Miesmacher »

Conor wrote:"Not synced" for the title means there was a network error during the sync and Pocketpedia2 was unable to get all the information. Try running the sync by connecting directly to your computer. Under the airport menu select create network and then on your iPhone select the new network from under the settings program and re-try the sync. Also please take a look at your console log with the program of the same name in your utilities folder and send me any errors from DVDpedia as it would report any network problems.

Update: I forgot to mention you can hold down the option key in the Pedias as you press the sync button in Pocketpedia2 to tell it you want to sync all the information again, in case Pocketpedia2 thinks it need not update the "not synced" entries.
Hi Conor,
thanks for the quick info - I am especially relieved that this is NOT an Amazon issue. Phew.

Linking the two computers directly didn't work, eventually I managed the "normal" way.

On the next sync syncing stopped at "995 of 0", another try went through however and I seem to have gotten all the info.
What's strange still is that changes in Bookpedia (I changed the rating for a book) do not seem to be synced to Pocketpedia by normal sync - same as a change of rating in Pocketpedia does not get synced back.

I did another "full sync" but for minor changes this seems rather tedious... (as it syncs covers as well). I interrupted that sync (when the covers were syncing) and noticed that the changes to the ratings had still not been synced.

Cheerio,
Thorsten
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

DAK wrote:…, is it possible for a third party (e.g. me) to write a plug-in that strips the data from the URL field of every item in the library?
You don't need a plug-in to do that; it can be done in a multi-selection Edit window after enabling the URL field for "Add Edit Panel" under the Fields tab of Preferences.
DavidK44

Post by DavidK44 »

Conor wrote:Hi David,

The backward index is a new feature. Pocketpedia2 will respect the current ascending or descending order of the Pedias. Click on your title column in the desktop Pedia to flip the sort order to descending. This was an important feature request for users who sort their movies by date added, where it makes more sense to have the newer movies at the top of the list.
Hi Conor,

I'd tried that, and it didn't do anything to the sort order in Pocketpedia2. However, I realized I was still using the 4.5.4 beta versions of the desktop programs. I replaced them with the new versions, and it then reverted to my defined sort order.

Regards, David
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I realized I was still using the 4.5.4 beta versions of the desktop programs. I replaced them with the new versions, and it then reverted to my defined sort order.
It was one of the latest changes, I hadn't thought that it might have not made it into the beta. The beta versions would not have sent the necessary ascending or descending information. This was also an unusual beta in that it would not have prompted for update via the check for update features for the new non-beta version.
weirded76
Contributor
Contributor

Post by weirded76 »

Will it be possible to use Pocketpedia 1 with the new version (4.5.4) of dvdpedia ? Will Pocketpedia 1 continue to do a full sync ?

Thanks !
paulab
Captain
Captain

Post by paulab »

Hi -
First of all, I'm so glad to have Pocketpedia back on my iPhone. Thanks so much!

I'm having the same Z-A sort issue described above. I sorted on my author column to make sure the sort was going in the right direction, but Pocketpedia2 is still sorting Z to A. I don't think I'm running the beta - Bookpedia tells me I'm running the latest version, and there's no indication in the "About Bookpedia" info that suggests it's the beta. Any other suggestions on how I can change the sort direction?

Thanks.
Paula
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Paula,

Do download a brand new version of Bookpedia to be sure and replace your current version. If the sorting still continues to be backwards in Pocketpedia after a sync, please send me your database file so that I can search for the bug and fix it. You will find the file in your home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Database.pediadata. Please select it and use the compress command under the file menu to create a .zip version that you can then attach to an email.

@weirded76
Will it be possible to use Pocketpedia 1 with the new version (4.5.4) of dvdpedia ? Will Pocketpedia 1 continue to do a full sync?
The new versions will take out the Amazon info as well for the old Pocketpedia, in fact by default on a new install the Pedias won't sync with the old Pocketpedia. The old Pocketpedia lets you link back to Amazon and I think this is what they want to avoid and hence we are disabling that information for both versions.