uncensored sync to PocketPedia2

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
.jan
Contributor
Contributor

uncensored sync to PocketPedia2

Post by .jan »

Hi all,
'someone' postet a nice workaround on how to sync all informations between DVDpedia and PocketPedia2 on the apfeltalk.de forum (don't panic, post includes english translation).
So no <insert lamest online shop on planet here>-censorship anymore!

Just to clarify: I do not post the workaround here since I don't want to heaten up the situation for the Pedias.

Cheers,
.jan
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: uncensored sync to PocketPedia2

Post by Alex »

Please be aware the if you do this, you are essentially infringing the policy from said organization. Bruji does not support, condone or recommend this method in any way, our product strictly abides by the policies set forth in the Agreements.

However, we cannot control how people use their products and devices. This is akin to buying an iPhone and then unlocking and Jailbreaking it, it goes against all the Apple and AT&T (and other carriers') policies yet is very possible to do an indeed a lot of users have done it.

So, if the the F.B.I kicks down your door, don't say I didn't warn you :mrgreen:
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

.jan wrote:Just to clarify: I do not post the workaround here since I don't want to heaten up the situation for the Pedias.
Doesn't matter where it's been publicly posted. This genie's now out of the bottle and hopefully not an example of loose lips sink ships.
Zorglub
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Zorglub »

Great idea. Just used it now.
Be careful : the tip with automation does not refresh the database, so I had to delete Pocketpedia2 from my iPod, add it again and redo the full sync.

I've also added in all my Pedias an intelligent list to find all the items containing 'amazon' in the URL field.
Just to kow the level of dependance I keep on this provider... ;)
String

Post by String »

I had a look at this myself.
Do a backup of the database using File>export.
In this case it's for Bookpedia, but it should work for any other pedia I suppose:
Drag a COPY of the file (alt drag) ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Database.pediadata to the desktop
Open it with text edit, (right click- open with other and select text edit in the applications folder).
Do a simple search and replace ie edit menu > find...
Type in amazon in the find column,
Type in skdloer in the replace column, any random six letter word will do.
Click replace all.
Then save the file.
Move your old Database.pediadata to a safe place ie your documents folder in case this goes wrong.
put the new Database.pediadata file thats on the desktop into the ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/ folder. where it came from.
Restart Bookpedia, see if things are ok.
Sync your pocketpedia 2 app
You should have your details restored.

A couple of side effects:
If you have a book with amazon in it's title or summery etc it will be changed to the random letters, can be fixed in bookpedia with a simple search
The button (GO TO) at the bottom of each description page will be wrong.

If things mess up you can restore your saved Database.pediadata that you put into the documents folder back into the ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/ folder.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Zorglub wrote:I've also added in all my Pedias an intelligent list to find all the items containing 'amazon' in the URL field.
Thanks for the inspiration to use URL field matches in Smart Collections; quite handy for finding Amazon items.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

String wrote:I had a look at this myself.
Do a backup of the database using File>export.
In this case it's for Bookpedia, but it should work for any other pedia I suppose:
Drag a COPY of the file (alt drag) ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Database.pediadata to the desktop
Open it with text edit, (right click- open with other and select text edit in the applications folder).
Do a simple search and replace ie edit menu > find...
Type in amazon in the find column,
Type in skdloer in the replace column, any random six letter word will do.
Click replace all.
Then save the file.
Move your old Database.pediadata to a safe place ie your documents folder in case this goes wrong.
put the new Database.pediadata file thats on the desktop into the ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/ folder. where it came from.
Restart Bookpedia, see if things are ok.
Sync your pocketpedia 2 app
You should have your details restored.

A couple of side effects:
If you have a book with amazon in it's title or summery etc it will be changed to the random letters, can be fixed in bookpedia with a simple search
The button (GO TO) at the bottom of each description page will be wrong.

If things mess up you can restore your saved Database.pediadata that you put into the documents folder back into the ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/ folder.
Interesting. I did the same thing using the three lines of code in Terminal that the German site suggested. It removes the entry totally from the URL field in DVDpedia. Similar effect, different method.

Regards,

Keith
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote:
Zorglub wrote:I've also added in all my Pedias an intelligent list to find all the items containing 'amazon' in the URL field.
Thanks for the inspiration to use URL field matches in Smart Collections; quite handy for finding Amazon items.
Yes, agreed! Can someone remind me what the URL field is for or what it does?? Thanks.

Regards, Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The URL field is a link to the original source of the information, no different from the other fields.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:The URL field is a link to the original source of the information, no different from the other fields.
Ah, I see. Thanks.

Regards,

Keith