DVDpedia and Multiple Genres

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
walakazoo
Contributor
Contributor

DVDpedia and Multiple Genres

Post by walakazoo »

I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong or if this needs to be a feature request but here goes:

I'd like to use Multiple Genres for my movies. Now I know DVDpedia already allows this. For instance, I can give Pixar's Cars the genres of "Animated" "Comedy" "Family". The problem I'm having is that when I view movies using either DVDpedia's built in Full Screen mode or using the Front Row plugin, a get a Genre called: "Animated, Comedy, Family" that Cars is under. This seems weird to me. I would thought it should show up as three separate genre's with Cars listed under each one. The biggest problem with the combined way is that after adding a bunch of films, I end up with a ton of genres b/c if the list of genres is just slightly different I end up with a new genre. Also there is not an easy way to look at all the movies the include "Family" or "Animated" under just one Genre tag.

Currently, I've switched to using only one genre per film and using only very board genre names (ie Action, Comedy, Drama) but would really love to be able to use multiple genres how I described above to better refine my collection.

So am I doing something wrong or is this just how Multiple Genres are handled in Full Screen and Front Row with DVDpedia?

Thanks.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: DVDpedia and Multiple Genres

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. The genre filter menu in the full screen mode was overlooked when updating the genre field to a multi-value field. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, you can download the beta version 6 and the genre in full screen will now work as you expect and give you an option for each separate value. I've also sent a message and the code over to the para9.com developers who build the plug-in, so they might include it in the next update.
walakazoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by walakazoo »

Wow, thanks for the quick response! Really love DVDpedia and with great support like this it just makes it even better! I like the full screen mode but do prefer the front row plugin so I hope to see an update from para9 soon.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!
mthegrk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mthegrk »

In response to the issue you have with the DVDPedia Front Row plugin, i faced the same thing. To work around the problem, I created a series of smart collections -- one for each genre. Now, I have a series of collections that I can scroll through that get updated dynamically, but only show a list of movies in a specific genre. This workaround makes some of the options in the plugin obsolete or duplicate, but it with hundreds of movies in my collection it helps when I am looking for something to watch.
Hope this helps.
walakazoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by walakazoo »

@mthegrk

No need for smart collections to do this anymore! Go over to para9's website and grab the latest version of the frontrow plugin. They released a new version that correctly handles movies with multiple genres. Love it! Thanks again to Bruji and Para9 for the quick replies and the updates.

On a side note, if a similar frontrow plugin for CDpedia was made I would be very tempted to buy CDpedia also. I know it's not needed as much as the DVDpedia plugin was b/c of iTunes pretty good integration into frontrow but iTunes has the same multiple genre problem. This makes music browsing via frontrow a little frustrating. I could send feedback to Apple about it but I know there's not a chance in hell I'll get the kind of quick response and fix I did here from them!