imdb rating without votes

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Schakal_No1

imdb rating without votes

Post by Schakal_No1 »

Hi,

is there any chance to get the imdb-rating without the number of votes? Like for example a movie normaly gets the rating "2.3 (456789 votes)" but I just want to have "2.3" in the rating field.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: imdb rating without votes

Post by kbarnes70 »

Schakal_No1 wrote:Hi,

is there any chance to get the imdb-rating without the number of votes? Like for example a movie normaly gets the rating "2.3 (456789 votes)" but I just want to have "2.3" in the rating field.
Personally, I think you need the number of votes cast to give some credibility to the score. If a score is 7.6 but only has 67 votes, that tells you it may be unreliable. If the score is 7.6 and has 350,812 votes, you can be fairly sure it's representative.

Kind regards,

Keith
Last edited by kbarnes70 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marumari
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by marumari »

I think I'd also prefer *not* to have the (votes) thing, even though it's definitely useful. Perhaps make it a selectable preference, for when downloading the IMDb info?
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

marumari wrote:I think I'd also prefer *not* to have the (votes) thing, even though it's definitely useful. Perhaps make it a selectable preference, for when downloading the IMDb info?
That may be possible - on IMDB they give the rating and the number of votes cast as two separate fields AFAICS. They even break down the votes cast into demographics, which is sometimes interesting (eg if all the votes are from women, or men aged under 18 etc).

Kind regards,

Keith
adamhh
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by adamhh »

Thanks guys! I used to be blissfully ignorant about imdb ratings - since why should I care what others think of a film in MY collection, right? Well, as a consequence of your posts I've got intrigued by this data...

Could this mean I wish to register my my opinion on imdb? Life's too short for internet democracy, I guess for the most part I'll stay in my dictatopedia :)
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

adamhh wrote:Thanks guys! I used to be blissfully ignorant about imdb ratings - since why should I care what others think of a film in MY collection, right? Well, as a consequence of your posts I've got intrigued by this data...

Could this mean I wish to register my my opinion on imdb? Life's too short for internet democracy, I guess for the most part I'll stay in my dictatopedia :)
:) I agree, mostly. The ratings are a guide, that's all. Sometimes I disagree with them but often, especially where a large number of people have voted, it can be a useful guide. Maybe it might make me check out a movie a little more closely. But yeah - my personal taste is what matters to me more. So I'm with you in the Dictopaedia :)

Kind regards,

Keith
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

When a movie's got a relatively high rating on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes it increases the chances of it being added to my watch list. And IMDb has worked well for discovering less popular movies that I've really enjoyed, regardless of votes/ratings/reviews.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote:When a movie's got a relatively high rating on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes it increases the chances of it being added to my watch list. And IMDb has worked well for discovering less popular movies that I've really enjoyed, regardless of votes/ratings/reviews.
Yes, I agree. I sometimes find that the IMDb 'Recommendations' page for a movie will yield some interesting choices that would otherwise have passed me by. In fact, I have modified my DVDpedia Info View template to include a link to the Recommendations page for every movie in my database (alongside the link I have made to the User Reviews page). Clicking the link opens the relevant page at IMDb right inside DVDpedia and then I can click the names of the recommended movies and look at the ratings and reviews. I have found some interesting movies this way. HST, it can be hit and miss, as IMDb themselves admit, so one has to be cautious when using it this way. It's similar to the 'Similar Products' link already in DVDpedia, but the results from IMDb are more useful than the results from Amazon IMO.

Kind regards,

Keith
Schakal_No1

Post by Schakal_No1 »

@kbarnes70: so is there any chance to get the imdb-votes in two different fields in DVDpedia too without writing a plugin? (cause I don't have the time to learn objective C at the moment)
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Schakal_No1 wrote:@kbarnes70: so is there any chance to get the imdb-votes in two different fields in DVDpedia too without writing a plugin? (cause I don't have the time to learn objective C at the moment)
Not at the moment - it needs recoding of the program itself to achieve what you want AFAIK. Maybe Conor has a view?

Kind regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the suggestion at the moment you can't split the votes out of the rating without rewriting the plug-in. If you do have Xcode installed then you can make a one line change to the plug-in and rebuild the release version to replace the plug-in inside the program package.

Look for the following line and delete it:

Code: Select all

rating = [NSString stringWithFormat:[[NSBundle bundleWithIdentifier:@"com.bruji.pediabase"] localizedStringForKey:@"votes" value:@"%@ (%@ votes)" table:@"Localizable"], rating, totalVotes];
Schakal_No1

Post by Schakal_No1 »

Thanks, but where do I get the sourcecode? And is the source code of the plugin available which generates HTML? Because if so, i would change it so that it generates LaTeX-Code (it's pretty similar, just the escape chars are different).
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Download the source code from this link and place a copy of DVDpedia into your "/build/Debug" directory that is created when first building the plug-in (there will be an error about copying without DVDpedia present). This is because there is a script included in the project that copies the plug-in into DVDpedia bundle at that location to make developing easier and hence why it's needed. You can then use the Xcode menu "Project-->New Custom Executable..." to add that copy of DVDpedia as an executable and be able to use "build and run" and "build and debug" directly from Xcode.

That plug-in is for the information that is downloaded when you do a new search, it will not modify your exiting entries. The HTML generation of the info view is built into the program and can't be modified. For exporting there is a text template system that would allow you to create custom formats for exporting, but the encoding of characters would have to happen in a separate program as DVDpedia will export all text as regular UTF-8 (except HTML templates that do not include the content="utf-8" meta attribute, for which all non-ascii characters are encoded).
MikeB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by MikeB »

One of the reasons that I am so happy with DVDPedia is that there are so many preferences. I can choose to make my DVDPedia exactly as I would like. I agree that this should be a preference. I would prefer to display the rating without the number of votes. If I or anyone would like to look at the votes, go to IMDB and there you can find them. I also think that many of the votes (regardless of number) are completely wrong. But, that's only my opinion.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

MikeB wrote:One of the reasons that I am so happy with DVDPedia is that there are so many preferences. I can choose to make my DVDPedia exactly as I would like. I agree that this should be a preference. I would prefer to display the rating without the number of votes. If I or anyone would like to look at the votes, go to IMDB and there you can find them. I also think that many of the votes (regardless of number) are completely wrong. But, that's only my opinion.
Well they're not really 'wrong' in so much as they are what the people who entered them think - but yeah, you may well disagree with them! :wink: I like to know the number of votes cast because the score is fairly meaningless if, say, only 50 people have voted. If 300,000 have voted it''s likely to be a way more accurate representation of what most people think of this particular movie. But yes - a pref is the way to go on this, and many other things too, if possible, then everyone is happy. The really great thing IMO that sets DVDpedia apart from the others is the incredible responsiveness to our requests that Conor and his team show. There's nothing else like it IME.

Kind regards,

Keith