"Die Hard" sorts with the H's; any workaround?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
editorialcollective
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

"Die Hard" sorts with the H's; any workaround?

Post by editorialcollective »

The movie "Die Hard" sorts with the H's (which I guess is an attempt to filter out the German article "die"); is there any workaround for this?
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: "Die Hard" sorts with the H's; any workaround?

Post by kbarnes70 »

editorialcollective wrote:The movie "Die Hard" sorts with the H's (which I guess is an attempt to filter out the German article "die"); is there any workaround for this?
Use the Sort Title field to sort it by - just add Die in the sort field. You will need to go into Prefs first then to Fields, then to Add Edit Panel and make sure that Sort Title is ticked. Then in the main edit window, make sure you are not hiding empty fields (bottom left corner of edit wondow) and then add the sort title you want to use into the Sort Title field - I just add Die there. The movie will then sort under the D's as you want it to. You can use the Sort Title field to move any DVDs you wish into a different place in the sort.

Kind regards,

Keith
editorialcollective
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by editorialcollective »

Thanks Keith! That does the trick...
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

editorialcollective wrote:Thanks Keith! That does the trick...
You are most welcome.

Kind regards,

Keith
philb1701
Contributor
Contributor

Post by philb1701 »

Usually what I do in cases where there is an on-going series is list it as Die Hard 01, Die Hard 02 and so on.
That way it lists in the order the movie was released, which is how I catalouge multiple entries.

Works especially well with the James Bond series and with Harry Potter.
geeji
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by geeji »

kbarnes70 wrote:Use the Sort Title field to sort it by - just add Die in the sort field. You will need to go into Prefs first then to Fields, then to Add Edit Panel and make sure that Sort Title is ticked. Then in the main edit window, make sure you are not hiding empty fields (bottom left corner of edit wondow) and then add the sort title you want to use into the Sort Title field - I just add Die there. The movie will then sort under the D's as you want it to. You can use the Sort Title field to move any DVDs you wish into a different place in the sort.
I may be dumb, but reading your post I thought you only needed to fill the "Sort Title" field when you wanted to manage an exception to the regular sort order.
But when I fill this field only for 1 entry, it goes all the way to the end.
Is that the expected behavior and should the Sort Title field be completed for EVERY movie ?
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

geeji wrote:
kbarnes70 wrote:Use the Sort Title field to sort it by - just add Die in the sort field. You will need to go into Prefs first then to Fields, then to Add Edit Panel and make sure that Sort Title is ticked. Then in the main edit window, make sure you are not hiding empty fields (bottom left corner of edit wondow) and then add the sort title you want to use into the Sort Title field - I just add Die there. The movie will then sort under the D's as you want it to. You can use the Sort Title field to move any DVDs you wish into a different place in the sort.
I may be dumb, but reading your post I thought you only needed to fill the "Sort Title" field when you wanted to manage an exception to the regular sort order.
But when I fill this field only for 1 entry, it goes all the way to the end.
Is that the expected behavior and should the Sort Title field be completed for EVERY movie ?
You only need to use the "Sort Title" field if you want to position a particular movie into a slot that is outside of the normal sort rules. So, for example, if you have the movie "Das Boot" and you have set DVDpedia to 'Ignore foreign articles" then the movie will be placed in the 'B' section of your listings - in mine it would come between "Boogie Nights" and "Born on the Fourth of July". If I want the movie to appear in the 'D's then I can enter 'Das' in the 'Sort Title' field and it will then appear in the 'D's where I think it should belong. The word 'Die' as in the James Bond movie 'Die Another Day' is a bit of a special case because of course 'Die' is the german article for 'the' and so this is a special case. But by using a combination of the settings for 'Ignore foregin article' and 'Sort Title' you can position any movie just where you think it should be.

You do NOT have to complete the Sort Title field for every movie - just for the ones you want to sort outside the usual rules. If you tell me the name of the movie that was positioned at the end of your list, I can perhaps explain it better.

Kind Regards,

Keith