Help with creating a Smart Collection

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Help with creating a Smart Collection

Post by sitenoise »

This is probably obvious and simple but I'm unable to master it. I want to create a Smart Collection that collects any movie which has China, Hong Kong, or Taiwan in the country field BUT which also has a myrating Rating.

I have thousands of films in my library but I want it to collect only the ones from any of those ... lets say "countries" for sake of illustration ... that I've seen and rated.

Using "ANY" in the Smart dialog works until I add the 'rating' requirement. And using "ALL" doesn't work because that would require the country field to have all three "countries".

Is this possible and I'm just being thick?
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Help with creating a Smart Collection

Post by kbarnes70 »

ual wrote:This is probably obvious and simple but I'm unable to master it. I want to create a Smart Collection that collects any movie which has China, Hong Kong, or Taiwan in the country field BUT which also has a myrating Rating.

I have thousands of films in my library but I want it to collect only the ones from any of those ... lets say "countries" for sake of illustration ... that I've seen and rated.

Using "ANY" in the Smart dialog works until I add the 'rating' requirement. And using "ALL" doesn't work because that would require the country field to have all three "countries".

Is this possible and I'm just being thick?
Make a Smart Collection that has all the movies from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan etc by using ANY as you suggest. Then make another Smart Collection that looks at the first Smart Collection ("Movie is in/ Collection is/ Asian Movies" or whatever you call it) and then "Rating is xxxx". Match ALL. In other words, your new Smart Collection is based on the first Smart Collection. I'm not sure if I am explaining this very well - have a go using what I say and if it doesn't work let me know. I just tested this here and it worked fine.

Kind regards,

Keith
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

kbarnes70 wrote:
Make a Smart Collection that has all the movies from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan etc by using ANY as you suggest. Then make another Smart Collection that looks at the first Smart Collection ("Movie is in/ Collection is/ Asian Movies" or whatever you call it) and then "Rating is xxxx". Match ALL. In other words, your new Smart Collection is based on the first Smart Collection. I'm not sure if I am explaining this very well - have a go using what I say and if it doesn't work let me know. I just tested this here and it worked fine.
Brilliant, simple and crystal clear. Thank you my friend.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

kbarnes70 wrote:Then make another Smart Collection that looks at the first Smart Collection ("Movie is in/ Collection is/ Asian Movies" or whatever you call it) and then "Rating is xxxx". Match ALL. In other words, your new Smart Collection is based on the first Smart Collection.
Also see Conor's post about Smart Collection updating with that type of usage.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

ual wrote:
kbarnes70 wrote:
Make a Smart Collection that has all the movies from
Brilliant, simple and crystal clear. Thank you my friend.
My pleasure.

Kind regards,

Keith
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote: Also see Conor's post about Smart Collection updating with that type of usage.
Yes, good point. I have any similar Smart Collections inside a master folder so they will update at one click on that folder.

Kind regards,

Keith