Get better DVD coverart

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Schroedess26

Get better DVD coverart

Post by Schroedess26 »

Is there a way to get better cover art for the DVDs automatically? I know there are some programs that actually get the movie theater ads for the cover art. So is there something like that on here?
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Get better DVD coverart

Post by kbarnes70 »

Schroedess26 wrote:Is there a way to get better cover art for the DVDs automatically? I know there are some programs that actually get the movie theater ads for the cover art. So is there something like that on here?
I get all my cover art from www.movieposterdb.com. This site has original theatre posters as well as DVD covers for almost every movie. The site also conveniently uses the same reference numbers as IMDb, and this has enabled me to make a link called 'Movie Poster' right in my Info View screen. This means I can click the link and go directly to the movie poster site without leaving DVDpedia. If you create an account at movieposterdb.com, and tick the 'remember me' box, then going directly there from DVDpedia will take you directly to the relevant posters, with you logged in so you can download the high res images if you wish. Once the image has downloaded into DVDpedia, simply drag it across to the cover art box on the left bottom corner. A great workflow!

This is the line of html code I had to add to my Info View. You can position it anywhere you like - I put it at the end of the main info stuff and it displays neatly. You will have to experiment:

<a href="http://www.movieposterdb.com/movie/[key:imdb]" >Movie Poster</a>

Kind regards,

Keith
alcatrazp

Post by alcatrazp »

i'm sorry I'm a Newbie so please accept this simple question.
Can you be more explicit on how to add the HTML code in the info view at the end of main info stuff?
Thanks
alcatrazp

Post by alcatrazp »

After many hours of bumbling, I think I have found out what you mean and here it is for others that may be as clueless about html as me. First you have to make a template or download one. Then I edited it with a html text editor like text wrangler. At the end of the text file copy the <a href="http://www.movieposterdb.com/movie/[key:imdb]" >Movie Poster</a> and save. The only templates I could edit that would show up in the style menu bar are the files located in the users/username/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Info Templates/ folder. I restarted dvdpedia. The file needs to show up when you control click the "info view" pane of the selected movie. I scrolled down to style and selected my template. Now import a movie and you should be able to click the "Movie Poster" text at the bottom of the "info view" pane. However I get an error Warning!
The movie you requested is not found or it has no posters. which I think means that the name of the movie is not being transferred to the website.
Have I placed the text in the correct location of the template file or is there something I am missing?
Also, why don't all the templates shown in the style bar not found in the above mentioned path? Is it possible to edit them and what is the complete path to find them?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Very happy that you figured out the info view customization.
The movie you requested is not found or it has no posters. which I think means that the name of the movie is not being transferred to the website.
You have done the HTML correctly, the problem is you don't have an IMDb number for the movie you are trying to look up. Movie Posters DB uses the same number for cataloging their movies. To associate an IMDb number with a movie open the edit window and click on the bottom right gear button and select IMDb, you will then be presented with the results to select the correct one from. Once you have the IMDb number field (under the extras tab) filled out then you should have no problem with the link.
Also, why don't all the templates shown in the style bar not found in the above mentioned path? Is it possible to edit them and what is the complete path to find them?
The templates that ship with the program are inside the program package. You have to control click on DVDpedia.app and select "Show Package Contents" then navigate to DVDpedia.app/Contents/Resources/WebViewFiles/en/. These files can be modified, but it's better to move those modified files into the data folder to InfoTemplates and rename them. Files inside the program get updated with the program and any modifications would be lost during an update.
alcatrazp

Post by alcatrazp »

Thank you,
It all works fine now
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

kbarnes70 wrote: I get all my cover art from http://www.movieposterdb.com.
what's the deal with that web site. They have people upload posers they find on the web and then charge money for other people to download them? Seems creepy. What kind of "credits" do you get for uploading a poster? Is it possible to actually use that site without paying money ?
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

ual wrote:
kbarnes70 wrote: I get all my cover art from http://www.movieposterdb.com.
what's the deal with that web site. They have people upload posers they find on the web and then charge money for other people to download them? Seems creepy. What kind of "credits" do you get for uploading a poster? Is it possible to actually use that site without paying money ?
You can download the lower res images for free. I think it's something like 5 Euros for 100 credits if you want the hi res images - new movies are 2 credits and older ones are 1 credit. Hardly breaks the bank does it?

Kind Regards,

Keith
MikeB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by MikeB »

I've been using the site for a couple of years. The free images you can download are perfect for DVDpedia. You only need the high resolution images if you want to print them.