DVDpedia "Original Title" field

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
scooter64
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

DVDpedia "Original Title" field

Post by scooter64 »

I stumbled across this cool time saver recently and loved it. Then it stopped working the other day. :(

Essentially, I organized my foreign film profiles just using the TITLE field with both English and Original title: eg. The Child (L'Enfant) (2005)

Then I recently decided to "activate" the Original Title field inside DVDpedia.

So now it shows as:

Title <Field>: The Child
Original Title <Field>: L'enfant

And, to my surprise, imdb.com would update the both of these fields for me! :)

Then the other day, I notice that that a film's original title (usually foreign language title) no longer generates inside the Original Title field automatically when I attempt to refresh imdb's information. :(

Not a huge deal, I'm back to cutting and pasting the foreign title into this field, but since I've got hundreds of foreign films, this was a really nice bonus. Was this a programming change on your end or imdb.com? It's not a deal breaker or high priority…it was simply a nice unexpected feature while it lasted, and that saved a bit of time.

Is this a feature that you can reactivate?

Thanks!

PS, this somehow might be related to a change I've noticed recently on imdb.com? It seems like they're switching their Movie titles to show English as the main title (regardless of the film's origin), and in italics they now show the original title immediately below. I really like this change on their part. What do you think?
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: DVDpedia "Original Title" field

Post by kbarnes70 »

scooter64 wrote:I stumbled across this cool time saver recently and loved it. Then it stopped working the other day. :(

Essentially, I organized my foreign film profiles just using the TITLE field with both English and Original title: eg. The Child (L'Enfant) (2005)

Then I recently decided to "activate" the Original Title field inside DVDpedia.

Then the other day, I notice that that a film's original title (usually foreign language title) no longer generates inside the Original Title field automatically when I attempt to refresh imdb's information. :(
Me too please, Conor and the guys. I have a fair number of foreign language movies too and also have a Smart Folder with the rule "original title/is not/blank" which handily makes a nice listing of all the foreign language movies in my collection. I've noticed it no longer works here as well. As scooter64 says, it's no deal breaker by any means, but it would be nice to have it back!

Kind Regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

@scooter64 The beta should pick up the original title field, especially since they have now made it possible to identify. Please download the beta for the latest update to the plug-in. If you still have any problems with the beta let me know some sample titles to debug.

@Keith Hi Keith, since you have the new beta the issue is different. Because you have reverted back to the old website style via the IMDb preferences the original title is not longer computer identifiable as it's in the new layout. If you revert your preference for testing you should then be able to update all the missing original title fields quickly and then change back to the old style for browsing.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:
@Keith Hi Keith, since you have the new beta the issue is different. Because you have reverted back to the old website style via the IMDb preferences the original title is not longer computer identifiable as it's in the new layout. If you revert your preference for testing you should then be able to update all the missing original title fields quickly and then change back to the old style for browsing.
Ah - excellent. Thanks for that advice, Conor. I shall do it this very minute.

Kind Regards,

Keith
scooter64
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by scooter64 »

Conor wrote:@scooter64 The beta should pick up the original title field, especially since they have now made it possible to identify. Please download the beta for the latest update to the plug-in. If you still have any problems with the beta let me know some sample titles to debug.

Hi Conor,
Thanks for your quick response. I see imdb is doing some major changes, and many people seem to really dislike this new imdb format (especially non-English speaking countries). Given the HATE that seems to be there, I wonder what imdb will do? I personally like the naming format (but dislike the new site layout), but could see why a person in Greece is now seeing all films automatically translated to Greek would be upset (unless they log in and change settings).

Anyway, I did download the beta you kindly posted. But, it doesn't seem to be adding Original Titles for me into the pedia field. I've tried both NEW pedia foreign titles (where the English Title is the main one shown, and Original is below in Italics)--plus not working when I refresh my current database.

Again, it sounds like imdb could be changing their formats, so spending time changing the code of DVDpedia might be a waste of time, unless that is how you intended it to operate for us?

But, since you already had Original Title as a Pedia field anyway…I just thought I'd mention that it doesn't automatically generate for me.

FYI, my imdb settings on their site is set to:
Title Display Country: United States
Title Display Language: English

Although i live in an English speaking part of Canada, I thought it'd be easier to simply set my imdb profile as a USA resident.

Hmmm….any idea why foreign titles still don't generate for me? (Sorry, should work on my brevity skills) :)

Thanks Conor,

Scott
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Scott,

To get down to the root of the problem here as an example. With the same settings when searching for "Ghost in the Shell" (that would be IMDb number 0113568) I get "Kôkaku kidôtai" for the original title. Does this not happen for you? If so please visit the Ghost in the Shell page in Safari and use "View Source" under the view menu. Then do a find for "title-extra">", is it found? This is what it should look like:

Code: Select all

<br /><span class="title-extra">
Kôkaku kidôtai 
<i>(original title)</i>
</span>
If none of that is correct do let me know the differences?
scooter64
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by scooter64 »

Hi Conor,

Sent you a private message last night with a sample of imdb code in safari. As you can see, I think it does show the "original title" in the sample code.

One thing I checked was that I seem to be Beta 42, and when I try to snoop around your site to find the various Beta 43 links and download it, it still shows me using Beta 42. Huh? I cannot seem to update to 43 from the links I've found in the forums.

Suggestions? I'm likely doing something silly….
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the information in the private message. I was debugging against the new style but you are using the old style. Seems what I told Keith is not entirely true, they have updated the old style to reflect the new original title change as well. This wasn't possible before, with that information I have updated the plug-in for both styles. It's now included in the official release of DVDpedia 4.6.3.
scooter64
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by scooter64 »

Conor wrote:Thank you for the information in the private message. I was debugging against the new style but you are using the old style. Seems what I told Keith is not entirely true, they have updated the old style to reflect the new original title change as well. This wasn't possible before, with that information I have updated the plug-in for both styles. It's now included in the official release of DVDpedia 4.6.3.

Wow, you're amazing! Version 4.6.3 works like a charm….Thank You Conor!
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

scooter64 wrote:
Wow, you're amazing! Version 4.6.3 works like a charm….Thank You Conor!
Aren’t they just!? Thanks from me too, Conor.

Kind Regards,

Keith
adamhh
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by adamhh »

Conor wrote:Thank you for the information in the private message. I was debugging against the new style but you are using the old style. Seems what I told Keith is not entirely true, they have updated the old style to reflect the new original title change as well. This wasn't possible before, with that information I have updated the plug-in for both styles. It's now included in the official release of DVDpedia 4.6.3.
I clicked on the above link to download the new version and some odd things occured. Firstly, rather than mounting a disk image on my desktop, it just directly installed the appliaction in my downloads folder. When I tried to move it to my app folder, it wouldn't let me and now the DVDpedia in the app folder is corrupted. When I tried to move it, I got the usual window asking if I should replace the original app, I said yes, but then another window appeared saying it was not possible.

Now I have a broken DVDpedia, and a working but widowed one taking up space on my desktop (I was able to move it there at least)

Should I try again? Can I safely delete the broken one?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Sounds like a permissions problem (it happens on my Mac as well when replacing applications). Delete the application (now a partial version) from the applications folder first and then copy in the new DVDpedia into the applications folder, you should have no problem after that.
it just directly installed the appliaction in my downloads folder
When you have "open safe files" in Safari checked it will automatically mount, copy, unmount and put the disk image in the trash after downloading.
adamhh
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by adamhh »

Thank you Conor. All is good.