DVDPedia & TMDb

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
juggy

DVDPedia & TMDb

Post by juggy »

How can I make DVDPedia to download the main poster associated with the movie from TMDb instead of the last one in the list?

Generally speaking getting the info/advanced info from IMDb and Amazon is enough for me except the cover. I prefer (as many other users) a movie poster as a cover. I personally prefer the following sources: IMPAwards, Moviegoods,TMDb, because they are free and contain the best quality posters I've found so far. I've used the first two for long time but my current winner is TMDb. TMDb (themoviedb) loads faster, all of the associated posters are high quality, and most importantly it is integrated in DVDPedia. After getting the info/advanced info from IMDb and Amazon, I delete the low res cover and get advanced info from TMDb. This loads a nice high res poster and also a link to a good res trailer (if available) and homepage of the movie. All this is integrated in the DVDPedia interface. In such a way I can get the high res posters for many entries at once by selecting them, removing the cover art, getting advance info from TMDb. This saves a lot of time. However, I noticed that DVDPedia tends to select the last poster in the list (from TMDb) and not the first one. The first one is usually better because: it is the highest rated english version. In contrast, some of the last ones tend to be an international title. So here comes my question again: How can I make DVDPedia to download the main poster associated with the movie from TMDb instead of the last one in the list?

I did look up in the forum extensively before posting. My apology if I have missed the answer somewhere. Thank you in advance for you help.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: DVDPedia & TMDb

Post by Conor »

Hi,

The TMDb plug-in should bring in the cover that is listed as being the main cover for the movie (TMDb sets this based on the cover user rating). However, I did check the plug-in code and notice that if it does have to select one from the list it does pick the last one. This was a mistake on my part, it was my intention that it select the first one. I have fixed that, please try out the DVDpedia beta 47 (you can use it as your regular version).

TMDb is a great site, very well designed and most important open and with a great API. The API makes is easy to get all the information for a computer program and the creator actually spends a good amount of time improving the API as well, instead of concentrating on the web page only.
juggy

Post by juggy »

Oh WOW that was a super fast fix. Thank you. It is so much easier now to get great looking posters as my covers. Will this beta version receive regular updates as a normal version i.e. should I delete my previous version?
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:Hi,

The TMDb plug-in should bring in the cover that is listed as being the main cover for the movie (TMDb sets this based on the cover user rating). However, I did check the plug-in code and notice that if it does have to select one from the list it does pick the last one. This was a mistake on my part, it was my intention that it select the first one. I have fixed that, please try out the DVDpedia beta 47 (you can use it as your regular version).

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I just tried to get covers for Salt and Inception from TMDB and in both cases they gave me the same foreign covers as with Beta 46.

Kind Regards,

Keith
juggy

Post by juggy »

Keith, you are right...it turns out that the 3 movies I tried have an English cover as their last entry (I just checked on the TMDb site). When I tried Salt it gave me an international title which I checked is the last entry on TMDb as well. So the DVDPedia Beta 47 has not fixed that issue. It still downloads the last cover... :roll:
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the two examples, there was a special cases that resulted in getting the last image when matching movies via their IMDb number. DVDpedia Beta 48 should download the first listed image in all cases. Please do let me know if that is not the case. It's easy to work with TMDb API so it allows us to release any fixes updates for TMDb with ease.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:Thank you for the two examples, there was a special cases that resulted in getting the last image when matching movies via their IMDb number. DVDpedia Beta 48 should download the first listed image in all cases. Please do let me know if that is not the case. It's easy to work with TMDb API so it allows us to release any fixes updates for TMDb with ease.
Working great now, Conor. Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Keith