Pedias in the MacApp Store

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Pedias in the MacApp Store

Post by sjk »

You're welcome, thajeztah. Doubtful it'll appear as an MU listing so it seems worth mentioning in other places. :)
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

thajeztah wrote:Ok, my 2 cents on the App Store;
  • Positive; App Store is a 'safe' place for Mac Newcomers to find software. Software on the App Store has been reviewed by Apple so should not be malware
  • Positive; For small developers, Apple provides hosting and payment options. Although I'm not sure charging 30 percent is a reasonable amount for this (feel free to reply)
  • Negative; No refund possible (very very bad for such a big online store! what online store does NOT have a refund policy?)
Agree will all of the above.
[*] Negative; No try-before-you-buy, no 'trial versions' (Are 'in-app purchases' allowed? And, if they are, -what- is considered an in-app purchase? ('Lite version'?)[/*]
I will add another Negative; no system for "Bundle Offers" such as Bruji has on its own store. :( :(
[*] Negative; No sparkle or other 'automatic update'. I need to open the App Store -manually- to check for updates of my applications. If I use multiple accounts (US Store, NL Store), do I need to log in for each store, just as in iTunes? :([/*]
I think that they will introduce into the App a form of Sparkle at some time even if it is just to let you know that there is an update available and you still have to go into the store to download it. That way Apple is getting you in there where you may have a browse at other products.
[*] Negative; The GUI of the App Store is realy NOT suitable for large amounts of applications. It's slow,
I tend to disagree with you on this one. I have found it very easy to navigate, find and peruse Apps.
doesn't have proper options to discuss applications and/or recommend other applications. MacUpdate offers far better options for this (although I'm not very fond of their redesign)[/*]
[/list]
I agree with you here. Though it does have a star rating and minimalistic review system it is not really designed for in-dept discussions.
Bottom line 1: Although automatic updating via Sparkle isn't allowed, would automatic 'notifications' be allowed? ('a new version of ..Pedia is available on the App Store.')?

Bottom line 2: No, I'm not very much liking the App Store, but think it's a wise decision to offer the Pedias on the App Store to prevent this GREAT software going unnoticed!

Keep up the good work!
But what we all must keep in mind is that the App Store App is only version 1 and I am sure Apple will listen to at least some of the grips. I am thinking here that they will introduce some form of Sparkle if only to get you into the App Store.
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted »

A huge positive for the Mac app store: buying from it guarantees the software will work on all your Macs. Too many developers (though certainly not the kind folks at Bruji) want to sell you a separate copy for each one of your Macs.

I also think the store will be a huge boon for small developers.

I don't know, I don't get some of the negativity. I know Bruji had a lot of problems with the iOS app store, but that was because of Amazon, not Apple.
gottadoit
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by gottadoit »

FineWine? That is an awfully bad whine, the remark about the APP Store being easy to use is insane. I am glad you like insanity. Otherwise you are truly filled with it and have never done web pages. Extremely poorly done, navigation is horrendous and they don't show you the products that compete with an item. Rating C- or D.

I really hate going to a developer's site to be greeted with "Go to the App Store To Purchase".

Adobe was too smart and too big to fall for your little scheme, Steve.

I hate it more than when it was released. Apple taking so much of the sale.

Where is the FTC and SEC investigations? Would love to see Apple stock plunge to pennies and I have bought my last Apple computer. Steve Jobs? You have made me HATE Apple. I hope you die soon. That is not a threat.

When Microsoft is looking like the good guy, you know you have serious issues.