Importing collection from LibraryThing to Bookpedia

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
wavell_09
Inductee
Inductee

Importing collection from LibraryThing to Bookpedia

Post by wavell_09 »

Hi there,

First off, congratulations on a great app. I'm looking to find a way of moving my book collection over from LibraryThing to Bookpedia, but the csv or xls files that LibraryThing generates for export don't match up well with the columns in Bookpedia. When I ask Bookpedia to 'Get Advanced Info' on the imported collection, it gets data for different books altogether! Am I doing something wrong? An idiot's guide for a new user would be very much appreciated ;)

Many thanks!
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Importing collection from LibraryThing to Bookpedia

Post by Nora »

As far as I know from other Bookpedia users, the export from Librarything is not that great because it puts almost all the details in a single "published" field (place published, dimensions, release date, pages, format, edition) and capitalizes all the letters in the title. That might have changed in the meantime though. (If you could let me know how the export looks now that'd be great!)

What you can try is to export a list of only the ISBNs to import into Bookpedia, either by copy pasting the list of ISBNs into the 'add multiple' window or using the regular import to add the numbers directly into the ISBN field. That way the 'Get advanced info' hits should be much more accurate (when they are only matched on title errors can occur unfortunately, especially with titles that aren't very unique.)
The other option would be to use the little gear button in the add/edit window. This will conduct the same 'get advanced info' search on the site of your choice but if there is more than one result returned, the drawer on the side of the window will pop out and you can select the correct one to add.

Let me know if that improves things!
rickl
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Importing collection from LibraryThing to Bookpedia

Post by rickl »

I'm late to the party here, but I thought it might be useful to point to a thread from 2006 that addresses this same issue:
http://www.bruji.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 874&p=2897

Don't be misled by the title: it starts off as a discussion on whether to switch from Delicious Library to Bookpedia and then gets into a discussion on how to do it about halfway down.

I'd be interested in hearing about any changes in the situation since, and I think a quick restatement of the current state of the art of importing would be most useful.