Smart Collection Movies A-G

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
perdox
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Smart Collection Movies A-G

Post by perdox »

I use the Front Row plugin with my DVDpedia running on my Mac Mini in the lounge room.
I try to make this as easy to use for the other members of the family who are not so computer literate.

I currently have 4 Smart Collections in my database:
Movies A-G
Movies H-M
Movies N-S
Movies T-Z

I created these smart list by using the Title/Starts With criteria. For example, the Movies T-Z has:

Title/starts with/N
Title/starts with O

Title/starts with Z
Match: Any

But some of the movies have not been ripped to my drives. So I would like to have these smart collections filter out the titles that don't have a link to a VIDEO_TS folder.

As I have the smart collections now, I can't simply add the criteria: Any Link URL/does not contain/file: because I either have to select Match: All or Match: Any.

I have read elsewhere in the forum that it is possible to create a smart collection based on other smart collections but that means that these new smart collections will also appear in the Front Row menu listing, something I'd like to avoid.

The problem would be solved if I could have something like: Title/starts with/[A-Z] (like a regular expression in GREP) but this is not possible, is it? Is there a way to hide a smart collection from the Front Row menu listing?

Thanks in advance.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Smart Collection Movies A-G

Post by Conor »

There is no way to set up a mix collection of both all and any. You could try placing the smart collections in a folder, not sure of the top of my head if the Front Row plug-in will then list only the folder and hide the extra smart collection within. Another option would be to create the smart collection of "Any Link URL does not contain file" and then drag all the results to a new collection that you could then exclude from your library under the file menu. By default library excluded collections are not included in the smart collections. You would need to keep every once in a while update the collection of entries without links, but should be easy to move movies in and out of that collection as you rip more files to the drive.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:There is no way to set up a mix collection of both all and any.
Any chance compound predicates for Smart Collections will eventually be supported?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Any chance compound predicates for Smart Collections will eventually be supported?
The program is already capable, thanks to the magic of Core Data. We are still working on re-designing the smart collection creation/editing code, as it is quite complex, in order to support a new interface that would allow compound predicates. Due to prioritizing Doghouse and Pocketpedia it will likely make it further down the road map.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Thanks, Conor. Helpful just knowing a relative priority so I have a better idea if/when to mention it again. :)
teacher24_70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by teacher24_70 »

What is "Doghouse"?
Conor wrote:
The program is already capable, thanks to the magic of Core Data. We are still working on re-designing the smart collection creation/editing code, as it is quite complex, in order to support a new interface that would allow compound predicates. Due to prioritizing Doghouse and Pocketpedia it will likely make it further down the road map.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

teacher24_70 wrote:What is "Doghouse"?
Based on translating Nora's post to English, it's the name of the Pedia server Bruji's working on. Thought it had also been mentioned by name in other (English) threads but apparently not or its name's been changed.
arb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arb »

I came here looking for an answer to a similar question: Is it possible (or are you looking at) to use playlists in the smart playlist criteria? This would allow the user to build up complex smart playlists by creating small/simpler playlists - I have a playlist called "Ripped Movies" containing all movies with a Link URL, so it would be nice to have my A-D playlist be able to use the criteria "Playlist / is / Ripped Movies".

Also, more match options with the existing criteria would be very useful. For example, you have "Title / Starts With / *" but there is no "Title / Does Not Start With / *" which is a problem for me at the moment too.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

arb wrote:Is it possible (or are you looking at) to use playlists in the smart playlist criteria?
Look for "movie" instead of "playlist". You can then set-up a smart collection "Movie / is in collection / Ripped Movies". The collection doesn't cascade and update smart collections that it's based on (still trying to figure out how to avoid a loop, where collections reference each other).
arb wrote:Also, more match options with the existing criteria would be very useful. For example, you have "Title / Starts With / *" but there is no "Title / Does Not Start With / *" which is a problem for me at the moment too.
Thank you for the feedback.
arb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by arb »

Conor wrote:
arb wrote:Is it possible (or are you looking at) to use playlists in the smart playlist criteria?
Look for "movie" instead of "playlist". You can then set-up a smart collection "Movie / is in collection / Ripped Movies". The collection doesn't cascade and update smart collections that it's based on (still trying to figure out how to avoid a loop, where collections reference each other).
Ahhh! That works fine. A little difficult to find after working with iTunes smart playlists though, even if it makes more semantic sense this way. :wink: