multiple versions of same movie?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
mrklaw
Contributor
Contributor

multiple versions of same movie?

Post by mrklaw »

Hi,

wondering how people go about cataloguing when they have multiple media types for the same movie? eg I have Bolt on DVD, on bluray, on 3D bluray and ripped from DVD as a video file. So currently I have 3 entries (I don't know how to put it in as a ripped movie). I store all my ripped movies on a central server, and all of my DVDs/blurays in disc wallets, using the location field to indicate where it is.

What I'd like is somehow to be able to just have 'bolt', and then have fields showing 'Bluray, 3D bluray, DVD, stream (or something indicating its on my server).

at the moment my DVDpedia export is becoming slightly less useful, especially with only about 60% of my content ripped for streaming - mostly DVD. eg for viewing on the AppleTV in the spare room I want to filter by streamable content, for the main lounge I can watch anything
judocama
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: multiple versions of same movie?

Post by judocama »

Currently I have the same problem and the only way to fix has been entering data into the Format field.By the example I have so:
Dvd
Bluray
Jmbd
Bdremux
Mkv

I think it isn't the best solution, it would be better developers create a tab to enter the movie in which you choose the format, currently only see DVD and VHS.

As for the movies in 3-D I created a field called Version (I type by the example 3-D, Extended version, Director's cut etc ...)

also think they can improve

I encourage developers to work on this issue and I commend you for your great program.

Regards.
teacher24_70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by teacher24_70 »

It would be great to have the Format field be a multi-check system (with pre-populated or user-defined fields). For example, I would love to be able to check the following formats (some movies might have one format checked, some may have multiple):
VHS
DVD
BR (Blu-ray)
TS_Video
.mkv
.m4v, etc.

I also see a need for something similar for "Location" (although this may already be there).
I may want an entry for the physical location (if I have a physical copy), but also a digital location (iTunes, Plex, etc.)

Any chance for multi-check fields for some of these?

(signature should show OS 10.6.8--will update)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

That an interesting idea, thank you for the feedback. The next version will allow that with two values. With a bigger list such as the example with formats I would consider using tagging instead. It takes up less space, has autofill to ease adding and is flexible.
judocama
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by judocama »

I would have a single entry with multiple versions for movies.
For example:
Terminator 2 (Extended Version)
Terminator 2 (Director's cut)
I have both versions and I have separated from them information such as languages, subtitles, format etc ...
Or at least keep them DVDpedia as a single movie.

Thanks in advance.
judocama
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by judocama »

Sería posible hacer algo para poder tener dentro de una pélicula varias versiones como sub peliculas?

Por ejemplo:

-Terminator: Como la pelicula principal
-Versión extendida
-Etc...

Cada versión que pueda contener los mismos campos que la pelicula principal.

Un saludo.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Gracias por la idea pero esto necesitaria un cambio fundamental de la estructura del programa.
judocama
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by judocama »

Gracias por contestar Nora.

Es una pena que no se pueda realizar ya que sería estupendo.

Un saludo y gracias por todo.
yggdrasil

Post by yggdrasil »

some ideas to impute multiple versions of the same movie into DVDpedia

1. create a custom tag field
2. create a custom text field ( it's possible add more information like subtitle, special features etc, the differences between these versions)
3. link a .txt file with the information you think it's relevant, it'll open inside DVDpedia, works well with series too, just copy and paste the description of all the episodes on the text file and you can have one entry for each season and a description for each episode
4. create with pages,using the layout template, or any image manipulation app to create a specific cover for that entries

Specific For Digital Movies

5. generate some video reports using any kind of app that can extract these information, like VideoSpec, iMediaHUD, MediaInfo and link the result as .txt file in the DVDpedia app
6. if it's possible create folder structure like this:
Terminator 2 as the main folder, inside this folder create other folders for the different versions, like Director's Cut, Extended Version, iPod, iPad and just link the folder and if you want add .txt file, not the movie

P.S.: to add multiple locations, just add a Path field, for digital movies, or a text field, this way you can write many locations at the same time

hope this would be helpful for anyone