Did I just waste $18?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Kleeberg

Did I just waste $18?

Post by Kleeberg »

I just bought DVDPedia based on what it looked like it could do. However, I'm running into difficulties right away with the search and information engines.

I've used many DVD database programs (Guzzlefish, DVDProfiler, etc.), so I'm not a rookie, but it appears that I do need some help.

I'm trying to add my 24 seasons. So I search '24'.

Most of the seasons are fine, however...

- Season 3 comes up with the British cover and the description reads: Relives the Patriots amazing run through the 2001 Playoffs and includes their monumental upset over the heavily favorite St. Louis Rams in Super Bowl 36.
- Season 8 only comes up in Blu-Ray, not the regular edition.
- All seasons added come up with different genres (one was 'Action/Television', one was 'Crime/Action', etc.)...thankfully, I was able to edit that.

So...do things like this happen all the time?
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Did I just waste $18?

Post by Nora »

What search site are you using? If it's set to 'All', what is the order of your search sites in the Preferences/Sites (that's where the All search takes it cue from). If you're selecting a specific search site (from the magnifying glass in the field of the search window), what site is it and what limiters do you have selected so I can try to reproduce the problem here?

Doghouse - which is the program's user contributed database - did indeed have an entry for "24: Season 3" where the IMDb number had been recorded wrong and thus the wrong summary had been added. I've fixed that so the entry comes with the correct summary and IMDb number now, thanks for pointing that out.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Kleeberg wrote:So...do things like this happen all the time?
Doghouse is shaping up to be accurate but is in its infancy. IMDb is the most accurate database I have found as a Doghouse Moderator, so I have set my Site Preferences order with IMDb first, then JB Hi-Fi (Australian use only for me), Amazon UK, Amazon USA, Doghouse, then some weaker English only sites. You of course would set up to what you find has the strongest accurate returns relevant to your country. But I would still set IMDb as your first choice.

IMDb does not always return Season & Episodes, if you have Box Sets, but they are there so I just Copy & Paste this info per Season Disk.

@The Team (could be wrong here as on work computer) but can we have the facility in the Season & Episode fields to enter multiple Season & Episode numbers and not just one. E.G. Season 1 and Episodes 1- 8, or Seasons 1 & 2 and Episodes 1 - 20 and same with Series.
Kleeberg

Post by Kleeberg »

I don't see how to search by using Amazon US or Amazon UK. I see IMDB, etc. However, Amazon is not listed.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

You have to sign up for the Amazon search, the programs don't connect to their sites automatically anymore. To sign up, go into the Preferences/Sites and press the 'Amazon Settings' button and follow the steps outlined in the Help file.

Thank you for the feedback on the episode and season. We were looking ahead at doing special matches with those numbers ( i.e., show all the seasons of a certain series). This is why we limited it to a single number to standardize it. It also provides more compatibility with TheTVDB and TVRage that both use these as primary keys for information. But you are right that DVDpedia is normally more flexible and allowing multiple numbers of letters would allow for things like "pilot" and episode "1-6". In the meantime we prefer the episode remain blank, so that we can also tell what is a full season or collection of episodes from a single episode information.