Pocketpedia3

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
powergirl218
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Pocketpedia3

Post by powergirl218 »

Klasse, dass Pocketpedia es endlich wieder in den AppStore geschafft hat. Habe es mir direkt heruntergeladen. Sieht sehr gut aus und funktioniert bisher einwandfrei. Aber da bin ich auch nichts anderes von Euch gewöhnt. Thanks for all the great Pedias. :D
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

@KomA - You can also do the sync via USB / iTunes. To do that, connect your mobile device to iTunes and select Pocketpedia 3 at the bottom of the 'Apps' tab in iTunes. Then go into CDpedia, hold down the Option key and from the Help menu choose 'Export for Pocketpedia'. Add the exported "For Pocketpedia" file into the Pocketpedia 3 Documents section in iTunes to import into Pocketpedia 3. When it's finished copying the file, run Pocketpedia 3 to see your collections. Repeat for DVDpedia.

Please note though that the sync via iTunes is one-way only so it's not really for everyday use. If you want two-way synching you have to set up a Wi-Fi network on your Mac. You can do this through the Airport menu (at the very top of your screen, the little quarter pie that shows the strength of your signal). Select "Create Network", name the network whatever you like and then go into the Settings app on your mobile device and connect to that same network.
markhunte
Contributor
Contributor

Post by markhunte »

Hi,

Thanks for all your work in getting this back out there .

I notice if I cannot find a book on your database , I cannot enter it on the Pocketpedia app manually.
Is this a feature along with barcode scanning that will be coming to Pocketpedia3?.

I would very much like to be able to do both. And then be able to sync back to my Mac.

Many Thanks

Mark
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Yes, manual add (and edit) will come to the program in the future along with barcode scanning.
SuperTricolor
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by SuperTricolor »

Nora wrote:You're correct that the previous Pocketpedia was free. We try to keep our prices low but this is how the three of us make a living and free unfortunately doesn't pay the rent. We've also been working on getting Pocketpedia back into the App Store for two years now by setting up Doghouse (the Pedias' own online database) to be able to leave Amazon behind which not only was a large monetary investment but also meant having to hire our first employee because Conor and I simply couldn't handle the extra amount of work. We could have included the cost of Pocketpedia in the price of the Pedia programs but that doesn't make sense for users who might not be interested in Pocketpedia nor for users who then use Pocketpedia without owning one of our Desktop Pedias.

Personally I believe the Pedias are worth every penny. As for Pocketpedia, (from a developer and user point of view), the price is a steal at $2.99. Obviously everyone has different priorities but we do hope that most users would agree with us.
I bought my version and I'm happy so far. Again I think $2.99 is not expensive, I said it because of the expectation since the others were provided free. I'm happy that I bought and happy it is now out. I look forward to the features you mentioned above. Being able to edit the information on the actual device would be really awesome. Thanks for releasing it.
tigermac

Post by tigermac »

Hi, I've just, a couple of days ago, bought pocketpedia 3 and I really like it but am not too good with some aspects of computing and I havent located a help facility on the program or the site. Is there one? I found an answer to my question on your site but it related to version 2. Can I update my iMAC version of DVDpedia from my iPad version of pocketpedia 3? If not this would definitely be top of my wish list.

Regards
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Each of the Desktop Pedia program Help files (included in the programs, under the Help menu) has a page about Pocketpedia 3. Alternatively the Help files are also available online. This is the Pocketpedia page in the DVDpedia Help.

DVDpedia and Pocketpedia are separate programs. To update DVDpedia you can use the 'Check for Updates' command found under the DVDpedia menu (right next to the apple on the top left of your screen) or if you purchased the program from the Mac App Store, use the Updates tab in the App Store program to download the latest version.
tigermac

Post by tigermac »

Thanks for the reply but I obviously worded my question badly.
I can sync my pocketpedia with my DVDpedia and download (if that's the right terminology) or, in my terms, transfer my dvd information from my iMac to my iPad to keep the iPad pocketpedia up to date. What I would like to be able to do is make changes/add dvds to pocketpedia on my iPad and then sync to my iMac DVDpedia and update DVDpedia with the new information from pocketpedia on my iPad. Is this possible? If not is it something you might consider in the future?
Sorry for the confusion
Regards
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Sorry I misunderstood your question! Yes, manual add and edit in Pocketpedia (so that you can add entries that are not found in the Doghouse and edit them directly in Pocketpedia) is something we have planned for the future. For now you can only add entries that are found in the Doghouse via the search.
tigermac

Post by tigermac »

Thanks once again for your reply but I still think we are talking about different things lol. I can't think or do not have the knowledge to word it any differently only to say that the question I am asking has (in my mind) nothing to do with Doghouse. It is to do with transferring the information about all the DVDs I own between my ipad and my imac in both directions. Unfortunately now I am more confused than before lol.

Regards
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Yes, you can sync all your information both ways, from the Mac to the iPad and back. What I'm saying in addition is that at the moment the only way you can add entries in Pocketpedia on your iPad is via a search in Doghouse, the Pedia programs' online database. You cannot add entries manually yet. But whatever changes you make in Pocketpedia (moving an entry, marking it as borrowed, creating a new collection) will be moved over to your DVDpedia when you sync the two programs.
tigermac

Post by tigermac »

Thank you very much for your patience. I look forward to being able to add manually in the future, it's my number one wish.
Regards
adamhh
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by adamhh »

Just a quick note saying how much I'm loving Pocketpedia3 - although I've been enjoying the iphone version some time, the ipad version is sweet! I can't believe how useful I'm finding having the databases on all platforms.
ojleblanc
Inductee
Inductee

Post by ojleblanc »

I'm sorry to say that I am quite disappointed with Pocketpedia. Perhaps I didn't investigate it sufficiently, but I am shocked that I cannot manually add into Pockepedia entries not found in Doghouse. I attempted to add 15 books but only 1 was found in Doghouse. That would be ok if I could simply add the items myself, but I cannot. My next move was to learn how I could contribute entries to Doghouse directly. My hope was to contribute to Doghouse, then look up my entries to add them to Pocketpedia, but even *that* option is not available away from the Mac. I bought the app so that I could work on my book database away from my office computer, but at this point, there is nothing I can do with this software. Perhaps I am not adding the kind of books that typically show up in Doghouse (I am a sociologist looking to organize my academic book collection), but there should be a way to make this software useful for everyone. Right now, this is not at all useful to me and I expected more for a $4 app.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. Inserting manually entries not found into Pocketpedia is on the to do list.. At the moment we are concentrating on finishing the moderating options for Doghouse to let users improve the current entries from Pocketpedia. We also want to expand the search sources in Pocketpedia to some of the other open sites. With the initial version we tested some, but the UI and workflow was not great so we had to scrap it for the initial release. Indeed Pocketpedia is a quite dependent on the companion Mac app at the moment.

Sociologist (all academic books) are bit scare on the Doghouse at the moment. So if yo do add them to your collection on your Mac do consider contributing them for the next user.