Print index ordered by location

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
searcher63
Contributor
Contributor

Print index ordered by location

Post by searcher63 »

Dear Conor,

Hi! It's been a while since I posted anything. I must say I like your pedias very much. I am currently getting ready to move back to the States and we are inventorying our dvds. We need to put them into several boxes and want to print out a list of the contents of each box. I was looking through the templates for DVDpedia, and couldn't quite find out how to create an inventory list that was ordered by location, then title, and then paged by location. Meaning, on change of location, start a new page. Also, a summary for that location (count of dvds for instance) if possible.

Is this possible with the templates? How would I do that?
Thanks,

Lyle Steinhardt
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Print index ordered by location

Post by Conor »

Hi Lyle,

The print order reflects the order in the list view. Switch to list view and from the main menu select "View -> View Options..." and then click the location field to display it as a column. Back in the list view click on the header for the title column and the on the header for the location column. Now your DVDs are sorted the way you want them.

For printing and separating by collection, there are two options. if you have a dozen of locations I would use smart collections for each location. This way you can print each collection individually including the count and get the page breaks your looking for. First arrange the columns you want printed and the order you would like them in and under the main menu select "View -> Set as Default Columns". This way you won't have to set the columns for each smart collection. Then create a smart collection for each location: "File -> New Smart Collection" and the rule would be "Location is Box 1".

After creating a collection for each location you can print the each collection with the "custom" theme under the print window to include the columns you would like. The other option is to use one of the templates such as List Thick that includes cover, but the fields on most templates are fixed and might not include the location information, you might have to add that to the template. This also has the advantage that if update one location you can easily print that list again, without having to print the entire library.

With many locations the better options is to use the HTML export and then print the resulting HTML. This is because the HTML export has the "alphabetical by word" option that will split the pages in the HTML automatically to group them by word that appears in the sorted column – in this case location. Good for printing templates on the HTML are FancyIndex, Basic, and White.

Good luck with the move,
Conor