Move database from Pocketpedia on iPad to Bookpedia on iMac

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
cambric

Move database from Pocketpedia on iPad to Bookpedia on iMac

Post by cambric »

Hi all,
I have on my iPad the latest version of Pocketpedia and on my iMac the latest version of Bookpedia.
The two databases where synched.
I had to initialize the iMac HD and I've lost the Bookpedia database (it is in the hidden "library" folder instead of the "documents" one).
I tried to get the database from Pocketpedia:
- I opened both Pocketpedia and Bookpedia (with iPad and iMac in the same wireless network)
- in Bookpedia, with the option key pressed, I went to the "Help" menu and I selected "Pocketpedia..."
I tried both "Import" and "Backup"....... pressing "Sync" in Pocketpedia...
No way to see something move from the iPad to the iMac...
The database in the iPad is always deleted and I have to restore the backup in the iPad in order not to loose the database.
What can I do to move the database from my iPad into my iMac?
Thanks a lot for your help...
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Move database from Pocketpedia on iPad to Bookpedia on i

Post by Conor »

After doing the backup you should end up with a file in your data folder called "Pocketpedia.bookpd". Do check the folder as it should already be there from your backup. With Bookpedia not running rename "Pocketpedia.bookpd" to "Database.bookpd" and launch Bookpedia. If you don't have the file you can get it directly from the iTunes backup with Backup Extractor. Run the program and select "pocketpedia3.bruji.com" and restore it to your desktop. In "Private Documents" look for the "Database.bookpd" file.

You should now have all your text information (no covers are synced). Select all your books and open the contextual menu on the image well (on the bottom left of the main window) with control click and select "Download Cover" and the original search site. If books are missing covers after that you can use the main menu "Book -> Update from -> Doghouse" and other sites. (If there some books that don't have ISBN it's best to use the gear button,on the bottom left of the main window, instead of the automated downloads to preview the results as the match might be incorrect for common titles).

The debug Pocketpedia window is from the original version of Pocketpedia, with the next release of Pocketpedia it will have the ability to send covers back and I will redesign the window to make the restore from Pocketpedia a one click affair. In fact with the upcoming version, it's already automatic if you do a sync on a brand new empty Bookpedia database and Pocketpedia has data it will import all the information backwards from Pocketpedia.
cambric

Re: Move database from Pocketpedia on iPad to Bookpedia on i

Post by cambric »

Thanks a lot, it Worked....

I downloaded "iPhone Backup Extractor" from http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/

and I extracted safely com.bruji.pocketpedia3

Thanks again, you saved me...

As a hint for future versions, easily moving database from ipad to computer could be a very good feature...

Ric