PocketPedia Lost Covers recovery Tip

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
markhunte
Contributor
Contributor

PocketPedia Lost Covers recovery Tip

Post by markhunte »

Hi I noticed that all my Book Covers in PocketPedia 3 where missing. Even after a sync.

I wanted to share simple tip in how to possibly get them back to any other Pedia users who finds themselves with the same problem.

Open BookPedia ( I only have BookPedia)

1, Select all of you books.
2, Click the 'Edit' Button or use the Book menu and go to -> 'Edit..'

The 'Edit Multiple Entries' Window will pop up allowing for multiple book edits in one go.

3, Scroll down to the bottom of the 'Edit Multiple Entries' Window

4, check the 'Tags' check box. and enter a tag. I used 'update'

5, click the ok button.

6, Open PocketPedia and do a sync.

Your covers should now reappear.

You can now go back ( only if you want to) to Bookpedia and repeat the process but this time remove the Tag. and re sync.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: PocketPedia Lost Covers recovery Tip

Post by Conor »

Covers are not backed up to iTunes for Pedia users (to save space and time) as they already have a backup in the Pedias. So after a restore, there will be no covers in Pocketpedia.

Thank you for the tip on triggering all the entries to be marked as updated. You can also hold down the option key while pressing sync, Bookpedia will then send all the covers again regardless of what covers it thinks Pocketpedia already has.
hswt86
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by hswt86 »

Connor I have tried your sync trick and still the majority of my entries in both my DVD and Book Collections don't display covers. Covers do show wherever they are thumbnail views but in the majority of cases no cover art shows when I try to view them in the full cover view. I did have the "Large Covers" slider set to off in Pocketpedias Settings and thought that might have been the problem but I turned that on and retried the force sync to no avail. I have also noticed that the large viewer artwork seems to come and go, sometimes showing and then later not showing for the same entry.
sandysantra@mac.com
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by sandysantra@mac.com »

markhunte, your advice did not work at all

Conor, your advice just managed to delete ALL THE COVERS I EVER PHOTOGRAPHED.

conor, I have just lost hours and hours of work due to your bad advice. my covers were on the iPad, not the Mac; I held down Alt on the Mac during sync AND NOW I HAVE NO FREAKIN COVERS.

I don't know if you work for Bruji, but if so, you should be fired immediately.

It's one thing for me to pay $18 or whatever for the program. It's quite another thing for me to lose HOURS AND HOURS of database work. My time is far too valuable.

I don't know who you are, but I will remember your name and never follow any of your advice EVER AGAIN.

Tech Support Fail Level 11.
sandysantra@mac.com
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by sandysantra@mac.com »

Conor, furthermore, I don't know how or why you are listed as "Top Dog" on this forum. Nothing could be further from the truth. You are certainly the lowest and most ignorant of all the dogs at Bruji and/or in these forums, if your actions and advice cause users to lose hours and hours of work.

Unbelievable.

I am staring at my screens and I just can't believe I just lost all that metadata.

How do you sleep at night, knowing you are completely messing up users' lives?

Unbelievable.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Sandy,

Sorry to hear about your mix up. The alt key is to trigger a download from Bookpedia to Pocketpedia as stated in the original post. markhunte is also very clear that his tips are from Bookpedia to Pocketpedia. Bookpedia is the master database and normally does not sync covers back from Pocketpedia unless it's a new book or the cover was modified in Pocketpedia.

You should have emailed earlier with the exact details and we could have tried to recover the iPad covers by syncing backwards to an empty Bookpedia that would have imported all the information from the iPad, but the covers would have been formatted for the iPad screen size. So it would have been best to restore from a backup anyway.

If you are using Time Machine this would mean visiting your data folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia and restoring the "Covers" folder by entering Time Machine in your menu bar and then selecting a previous date and using restore on this folder. If you are using SuperDuper or an online backup then restore/download this same folder from that backup and replace the "Covers" folder with this backup.

I would pass your remarks about my support performance up the chain of command but Top Dog means exactly what it implies.
hswt86
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by hswt86 »

[quote="sandysantra@mac.com"]markhunte, your advice did not work at all

Conor, your advice just managed to delete ALL THE COVERS I EVER PHOTOGRAPHED.

Sandy, go back and re-read the tips from both Mark and Conor and if you can put aside your rage you will find that the deleted artwork is purely a result of you misunderstanding the directions. In Conors initial post at no time does he say to hold down the Alt key. Rather he says to hold down the Opt key. Plus both state that their tips are to download data from the Mac based "Pedia" databases to Pocketpedia on your mobile device, not the other way around as you wanted to do. If you follow their directions they work fine for the stated purpose. The problem for you is that you did not read the instructions carefully enough to realize that these instructions were not applicable to your situation. I really don't think it's reasonable to hold them liable for your error.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

hswt86 wrote:If you follow their directions they work fine for the stated purpose. The problem for you is that you did not read the instructions carefully enough to realize that these instructions were not applicable to your situation. I really don't think it's reasonable to hold them liable for your error.
Thank you. You commented before I did and far more polite than I would have been.
sandysantra@mac.com wrote:Conor, furthermore, I don't know how or why you are listed as "Top Dog" on this forum. Nothing could be further from the truth. You are certainly the lowest and most ignorant of all the dogs at Bruji and/or in these forums, if your actions and advice cause users to lose hours and hours of work.
Conor wrote:I would pass your remarks about my support performance up the chain of command but Top Dog means exactly what it implies.
Again you jump in before you fully researched your rant. Have read in the About page - Who We Are.

If you are really that unsatisfied go to the bottom of that page and read the Refund Policy.

Sandy - An apology in these forums would be nice.

Cheers
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you. Luckily it was an easy fix with a recovery of the covers folder.