How to Show Library Folder in Mavericks Permanently

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
FineWine
Site Admin

How to Show Library Folder in Mavericks Permanently

Post by FineWine »

With the introduction of Mavericks OS 10.9 you can now permanently show your Library folder without doing so via Terminal.

1 - Fire up Finder, open a new window and go to the Users Home Folder (hit Command+Shift+H to go directly) NOTE: you MUST be in the Users Home Folder
2 - Click on the “View” menu and select “Show View Options” (or hit Command+J)
3 - Place a tick in the box for “Show Library Folder” then close the View Options panel

This setting is now permanent as long as the checkbox is ticked, it does not need to be changed again with each OS X update as with previous OS's.

If you don’t want to have the Library Folder always visible, hold down the OPTION key and access the “Go” menu and select “Library” to instantly jump to the Users ~/Library Folder as in previous OS's. Plus the Terminal Command line instruction still works:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Cheers
Conor
Top Dog

Re: How to Show Library Folder in Mavericks Permanently

Post by Conor »

Excellent, I will no longer need to embed it into my .bash_profile that ran the unhide every time I ran the Terminal to make sure the Library folder will appear.
MOTIVHIMMEL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: How to Show Library Folder in Mavericks Permanently

Post by MOTIVHIMMEL »

Amazing that Apple giving this option for "old school users". Thanks for the tip.

BTW: If you didn't want to see the Library permanently, you can also select in the menubar of the finder in the menu "Go to" (hope that's the correct translation in english, because I using a german system) and hitting the ALT key. You will see now the Library in the menu. If you left the ALT key, it will disappear. This will also works for Lion and Mountain Lion.