BGG and German comics

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Deichgraf

BGG and German comics

Post by Deichgraf »

Hello,

I'm just considering to administrate one or both of my collections via Pedia.
One is the boardgames collection, the other one consists of German and French comic books.

On first glance I would need two different Pedias for that - the Bookpedia and the Gamepedia. Though both seem to be so similar I don't really see the point of having two Apps. They are both just variants of a Database in the end.

One the iPhone there is only ONE Pedia for all purposes. So why is there a difference on the Mac and none on the iPhone? Can the Pocketpedia work (and sync) on two different databases in parallel?

Concerning the Games I've got my whole collection on BoardGameGeek now. Which anyway is THE authoritative source for boardgames.
BGG-access has been discussed in the forum two years ago - but it is not included in the import-sources of Gamepedia and so it is unclear for me what BGG-connectivity there is in the current Gamepedia.
So is it possible to import my game-collection?

Thanks advance for any help possible.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: BGG and German comics

Post by Conor »

The programs are spread into separate media to keep the price down and the confusion to a minimum (both UI and technically) but also because they started life as separate apps 13 years ago and would be an undertaking to bring them together. You can indeed sync two different Pedias to Pocketpedia, but we pair down features in Pocketpedia to allow having all the media in one. Main limitation having to select Games or Comics right at the root level of Pocketpedia and never mixing media, making it almost like four apps in one.

Board Game Geek is a search plugin in Gamepedia. So that you can add information directly from there. As you read in the forums there is talk about adding more features such as integrating with your library at Board Game Geek and keeping it in sync, but without an official API it's hard to do and maintain.

So to bring in your collection the easiest is to use Drag and drop. If you display your collection in Board Game Geek, you can drag and drop the links to each game to Gamepedia's dock icon, to have it search and display the result to add to your collection. If you visit "Gamepedia -> Preferences" and select "Add first result automatically", you can then drag and drop quickly without stopping to press the add button.

Do hope that you will buy our products, I can highly recommend Gamepedia. Bookpedia do test the demo version as our search sources for German comics is likely to be quite poor. So it will take a lot of manual entering german comic information.
Deichgraf

Post by Deichgraf »

Thank you very much for your helpful answer.

Bought both Apps and the Pocketpedia straight away, as the demo versions were very convincing. German comic books don't seem to be a problem after I connected to Amazon. Doghouse might not be the best solution for weird tastes like mine ;-)

Copying the game collection from BGG works fine. Well, it is a bit of work to drag and drop the whole stuff (over 600 games ...), but that's ok.

But one point is difficult: Import of games work, import of game expansions does not.

Example:
Game
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68448/7-wonders
Expansion to this Game
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpa ... ers-cities

Seems to be a BGG-issue - probably they use a different key for expansions. Would be great if something could be done here.

Thanks again!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the exact details and the links. I was able to add a fix and it's now in the Gamepedia beta and will be in the next official release.

The public beta is very stable and you can feel free to rename it and use it as your regular version, it will simply be slightly ahead of the official releases and checks for updates more frequently.
Rodney
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Rodney »

So to bring in your collection the easiest is to use Drag and drop. If you display your collection in Board Game Geek, you can drag and drop the links to each game to Gamepedia's dock icon, to have it search and display the result to add to your collection.
Drag and drop? Who knew! What a great feature. Is this documented somewhere?
I feel I am missing out in a ton of little features that you have for these apps.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Very likely. :) There are a ton of little features, I have to get around to creating a tips and tricks page.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

It isn't documented in the Gamepedia Help, only in DVDpedia. :oops: Will remedy that asap. There is a tips & tricks section in all of the help files but some features slip our mind! Do remind us though and we'll add them for everyone to see.