Library totals different between mac and ipad

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
dhfifield

Library totals different between mac and ipad

Post by dhfifield »

All,

I am attempting to catalog my library. I am using a iMac, iPad, and iPhone. I have created four libraries corresponding to different locations in the house where books are kept. Until today, the numbers between the three Apple products were the same. However after my last set of entries using the iPad, upon synching the iPad to the iMac, the numbers shown for the location where all of the entries were entered differ by 42 books.

I see the most recent entries on the iMac, but not on the iPad. Can anyone offer an explanation?

TIA,

Douglas
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Library totals different between mac and ipad

Post by Conor »

Thanks for the details. I believe it's a bug in the new OS X. It caches some of the information for speed coming in from Pocketpedia and does not push it out to the disk until later. The file sent back to Pocketpedia is then missing the information that was just imported from the iPad.

While I work on the fix for the next version, quitting CDpedia and restarting and then doing a sync should push all the new information on the iMac back to the iPad.
dhfifield

Post by dhfifield »

Thank you Conor. I re-synched a day later and all the totals now match. Cool.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Excellent, that it corrected itself as predicted. Tracking it down it's only a discrepancy in the totals, the items are actually there, so it's a caching issue as mentioned with the total count. Will hopefully get it fixed for the next version, to avoid confusion.
dhfifield

Post by dhfifield »

Folks,

I spoke too soon. Three days ago, I created a new library/location called Ebooks and I entered 32 volumes on my iMac. Giving it a day to refresh it's cache, I tried synching from both my iPad and iPhone. In each instance, the new library failed to appear on the two satellite devices. Is this the same issue as before or something different?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

For debugging purposes, could you try the following. Once the sync completes quit Pocketpedia and relaunch it. To quit it completely, double tap the home button and then flick Pocketpedia up and away from the app selector. Then launch it again, if the collection appears then it's just a reloading issue and I can look into that on Pocketpedia. If it does not appear, do please send me your database file and any error messages from the console log.

You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log.

You will find the database in your data folder located in your home folder at ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Database.bookpd. Under Yosemite you must use the Finder "Go" menu and hold down the option key and select the "Library" option. Once there navigate to Application Support/Bookpedia and select Database.bookpd and use the "Compress" command under the main "File" menu. This will create a .zip version that you can then attach to an email message. With your data I can try to repeat the issue live and sync here to see if it's a specific item that is causing trouble.
dhfifield

Post by dhfifield »

Conor,

Thanks for getting back. Just now I started to run through your list of options. I did a synch and the new library showed up, finally. The only factor that I know is different is that first thing this AM I had to do a hard-reset of my iMac due to a SWOD issue.

Would it be helpful for me to complete the other instructions in your post?

Douglas
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thanks for letting me know.

Don't worry about the other steps for now. Wait until you notice it again, then try the restart of Pocketpedia, followed by one of your Mac. This way I can narrow down who is lagging behind on showing the updated info, if Pocketpedia after receiving the data or the Mac on merging the data into the file it's sending Pocketpedia. With that info I know where to poke for code changes.