MobyGames doesn't return search results to Gamepedia

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
genji2000
Captain
Captain

MobyGames doesn't return search results to Gamepedia

Post by genji2000 »

Hi. I don't seem to be getting any results from MobyGames today when I search for a new game to add. It doesn't work on 5.6 or the Beta, whether my Mac is connected to my local wifi network or tethered to my phone. It was fine yesterday so I doubt it's a Gamepedia bug and I don't want to report it as such.

I wondered if it's just one of those things that happens from time to time, maybe the MobyGames API is temporarily not receiving calls or something, and I just need to wait a while? Or should this never happen?

Thanks

EDIT - Also new today is the following check when I access MobyGames through a web browser:
Checking your browser before accessing mobygames.com.

This process is automatic. Your browser will redirect to your requested content shortly.
Please allow up to 5 seconds…
DDoS protection by Cloudflare
Conor
Top Dog

Re: MobyGames doesn't return search results to Gamepedia

Post by Conor »

Thank you for reporting the bug and even adding the issue. It's definitely the redirection. I think mobygames might be under some sort of denial of service attack and hence most connections are getting throttled and redirected. The search can't handle that, I'll let you know when the fix is in the beta.
genji2000
Captain
Captain

Post by genji2000 »

Great. Thanks, Conor.
genji2000
Captain
Captain

Post by genji2000 »

It appears to be working again this morning on both 5.6 and the Beta 5.9.1.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Luckily the Cloud Flare timeout is now removed. I do have a solution for next time, but was making the searches slower than they should be waiting for the timeout, so will not rol lit out unless necessary.
genji2000
Captain
Captain

Post by genji2000 »

OK, thanks Conor. My suggestion would be to put a checkbox for "Increase Timeout" next to the Amazon Settings button in Preferences/Sites. Obviously I don't know if making that an option is more trouble than it's worth.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Something I want to do for 6.0 is re-architecture the internal of the search. Currently the initial search is done in the background, but after that the first results and all other results are gathered while the user has to wait (the second you wait between the search window stopping the busy indicator and the add window popping up). Normally not an issue, specially on normal/decent internet. But I'll change it so it can also be in the background along with the image preview download, it will feel faster as the app will not stall for that half of a second and I can add an animation for the image as it loads.

The above enhancement would have avoided the Moby issue, as the timeout can then be a large one, as it's being done in the background and the user can cancel if he gets tired of waiting for a bad or slow server.
genji2000
Captain
Captain

Post by genji2000 »

That'll be great, Conor. Thanks.