Importing downloaded TiVo files to DVDPedia?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.

Importing downloaded TiVo files to DVDPedia?

Postby Ted » Wed May 16, 2018 10:56 pm

I used to generate my Music Video collection (from late night talkshows, SNL etc.) via EyeTV - and DVDPedia nicely imports from EyeTV. But few years ago I dropped EyeTV for TiVO, and I generate my music videos by downloading shows to my Mac using cTivo and edit out the clips I want to save using MPEG Streamclip.

For this to work, I'd need DVDPedia to import files tagged as Music Clip or Talk Clip or Comedy Clip, etc. and/or filenames ending in .mpeg or .ts

Secondly I view all of my new TiVo files or old EyeTV files or imported DVD or Blu-ray files on my AppleTV or iPad using an extent AppleTV/iPad app called Infuse Pro. It would be unbelievably useful if I could sync Infuse with DVDPedia. Infuse is an excellent app with very active development. It would be amazing if you could collaborate - it would tremendously enhance both DVDPedia and Infuse....
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Importing downloaded TiVo files to DVDPedia?

Postby Conor » Thu May 17, 2018 10:12 am

Thanks for the info on how you use DVDpedia.

DVDpedia recognizes .ts files and .mpg. I have added .mpeg to the beta to also be imported. Not sure if cTivo is populating the metadata that is associated with these files, DVDpedia will try to pull out any metadata it can find. If there are additional files with info that cTivo is generating send me a sample and I can look at importing info from the file as well.

Will take a look at Infuse and see if it would be easy to integrate the DVDpedia data with theirs.
Conor
Top Dog

Postby Ted » Fri May 18, 2018 7:35 am

Thanks so much! The .mpg gets renamed to .mpeg by MPEG Streamclip saving the edited version.

Not sure what (if any metadata) are coming through from TiVo, and my approach may not be helpful - but this is what I've always done:

Examples:
cTivo downloads
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon-Cord & Tish; Chrissy Metz; Florence & The Machine.ts

I save it as (via MPEG Streamclip) as
Florence & The Machine on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon-Cord & Tish; Chrissy Metz.ts
TAG Music Clip

Jimmy Kimmel Live-Donald Glover; Molly Gordon; Angelique Kidjo.mpg

Angelique Kidjo on Jimmy Kimmel Live-Donald Glover; Molly Gordon.mpeg
TAG Music Clip

I guess importing by TAGs would also make sense - that way Music Clip, Talk Clip etc. can be sent to their own libraries.

Have to run - to be continued
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Postby Ted » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Conor wrote:Thanks for the info on how you use DVDpedia.

DVDpedia recognizes .ts files and .mpg. I have added .mpeg to the beta to also be imported.

I never tried the beta, because it doesn't work on macOS 10.11.6 (The last El Capitan that my 2009 Mac Pro can/does run - where unfortunately I keep all my video data courtesy of the 48TB of storage.) I tried the new official release 5.6.1 and that does not support .mpeg files. Is my only choice to start running DVDPedia, etc.betas remotely from my MacBook which always has the latest version of macOS?

When the much expected new 2019 Mac Pro comes out I'll be able to replace my current decade old Mac Pro, but I strongly suspect the new one will be SSD only, just like the 2013 "Trash Can" Mac Pro. I guess I'l have a choice of either continuing to use the 2009 Mac Pro as my data machine or move its disk drives to a new RAID storage unit and replace the old Pro with a new Mac Mini if one ever materializes...
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Postby Conor » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:50 am

I have been exclusively working on the beta version for the last 8 months. Sorry I did not back port what is a small change to the older version. I'll try to do that if I can manage another release of the old version. I am trying to finish the beta and get everybody on the new 10.12 frameworks. But does mean a good number of people have old machines and hence do want to leave a good version 5, but Apple makes it so hard to even compile the old version with the speed of updates of MacOS. Hence why it's not trivial to update the old version, I actually have to go to an older machine to build it.

I hope you are wrong about the new Mac Pro, I strongly believe they learned this market needs customization and expansion. I am hoping there will at least be one drive bay for expansion that pros will be able to stick a good large drive in, so that you can move your data as is to the new machine. External solutions are okay, but for convenience and bus speed, they should at least have one expansion bay. Otherwise, what is the point of changing the design of the "trash can".
Conor
Top Dog

Postby Ted » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:57 pm

Obviously I agree with you, and really hope you are right, but the primary reason they had to drop the Trash Can and move to their future “modular” Mac Pro according to what Craig Federighi told John Gruber et al was that they made the wrong bet on the GPU future and simply could not run the post 2013 GPUs in a Mac the size, shape and cooling capabilities of the Trash Can. If they felt any regret for dumping multiple spinning drives for a single SSD, they didn’t mention it.

I’m all for the SSD future, but as of right now, simply upgrading the SSD on the just announced MacBook Pro to 4TB costs $3,200 - in other words the prices are more than 10 times of spinning drives and the capacity less than 1/10th of what can fit in a Cheese Grater MacPro. But if that was a genuine concern the most obvious solution was to revive the Cheese Grater with Thunderbolt, USB C, 5K video support, etc. something that could have been released within months, not years of making the decision.
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Postby Conor » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:08 am

You are dead on on SSD greatness and limitations, I am running out of space constantly with a 256 megabyte drive.

I think they are addressing more than the single GPU issue with the design. In fact it's likely the final design is like the Cheese Grater, they are just sitting around trying to figure out how to make it unique and special, so as not to look like admiting defeat and going backwards to the previous superior design for a Pro machine.

Although to their credit, it's impressive what they managed to fit into the small package of the new MacBookPro, including the Radeon Pro 560X.
Conor
Top Dog

Return to PediaTalk