Importing downloaded TiVo files to DVDPedia?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Importing downloaded TiVo files to DVDPedia?

Post by FineWine »

Conor wrote:The moment a new OS is out everything else is legacy and then after a few years declared obsolete. I think I will need to start the same practice. :D
DanThe wrote:Not an easy decision to drop legacy but in order to move forward and focus on current coding, it had to be done. Change is the one constant of life. :)
Goodbye Objective-C, hello Swift and its ever growing list of API's.

Yes we move on and so does technology. My first car was a 1954 flat head, 4 cyclinder, 800cc, 2 door. My latest, this year, is a 2ltr SUV technological marvel of engineering, that has an owners manual 2" thick explaining, keep lane assist, parking assist, change lane warning, camera & sensors all over the place, auto function this and auto function that. Wow what a learning curve.

Dare I say it, Conor, "a subscription based system of pedia's" using the Apple ID subscription service ? On upgrade to Catalina I will be going that way with 1Password version 7 (from my current Version 6) as an annual subscription, not monthly.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

My latest, this year, is a 2ltr SUV
Your car is now legacy as soon as it came off the lot, electric cars are the future. Although in your area it might take a longer time with the distances that one has to drive. I thought electric was an interesting idea, but the other day I got to drive one (BMW i3) and it's a different machine and feeling altogether. It's not like the jump to hybrid.

I am still on 1Password version 6 as well, as I dislike subscriptions. But I am slowly getting used to them, with the onslaught of services that you need now to run almost anything. Everyday deeper into the Apple ecosystem, with HomeKit. Like electric cars, subscriptions will be the norm in a couple of years.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

I am still on 1Password version 6 as well
I was on 1Password subscription base version 7 until I discovered Secrets from Outer Corner (https://outercorner.com/). It is not as rich as 1Password for fields but it uses iCloud for storing its data plus you can import from 1Password. They aim at simplicity and version 3 now lets you add attachments and change the icon image. It also made me realize that it was time for to cleanup my data. It took some time to get use to it and even though it currently not as feature rich as 1Password, it now has enough that I can live with it. I recommend exporting 1Password to PDF (can be password protected) so you have a reference to your data lay out. I get a good balance between using Secrets in combination with Keychain. Just thought I'd let you know in case you want to take it out on a test drive :wink: (App Store - Free for up to 10 items with in-app purchase for unlimited items).

Cheers!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you. That is a very handy tip on the app. I don't use most of the features of 1Password. I just want autofill on websites logins and the ability to have it on iOS with attachments (I keep my licenses there, in case I am out without it).

The only feature I might be missing is that I can share 1Password with Nora via Dropbox. Looks like Secret is tied to iCloud only and there is no sharing in iCloud.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

Yes it is a single vault and no sharing. It would be interesting to see if that's a feature that's on their roadmap. Under Catalina we will be getting folder sharing in iCloud. Hopefully that is something that can be added to apps.

I've been trying to move away from apps that want you to subscribe to their web services. Day One and TextExpander are 2 more examples which I have replaced with Dyrii and TypeIt4Me.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You are a treasure trove of information. I am still using the old TextExpander, but it does what it needs to do. Although Catalina, will kill it as it does not support 64-bit.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

TypeIt4Me has been around about the same number of years as TextExpander. As with Secret, it took some getting use to it. I can say the same thing of the Pedia apps.

2013 was my jump into the Apple world. My old collection databases had mac versions of their apps but as I was quickly to discover, Windows apps do not transition well into macOS. The main reason, the GUI. I can understand wanting to recreate the look and feel of the Windows counterpart but this comes at the price of true Mac users hating the UI. In my case I discovered that the DB schema did not match the Windows counterpart and discovered that the DB had become corrupt via opening a CSV export into Excel.

So after 3 years of frustration, I transitioned to the Pedia apps knowing that I would lose some of the features that I did like from the old DB. However, given that these were built for Mac, I quickly found that editing was more efficient and having a viewer that can open file, images and URLs without leaving the app or opening a separate window was amazing.

The reasons why I chose to stick with the Bruji apps are stability and speed. The number one reason is the Bruji team. As hard as it is to please everyone (mission impossible), your approach towards users has always been positive, constructive and professional. In addition to that, the forum community is pretty awesome too.

I had been meaning to write that statement for a while now so there you have it.

Cheers! :D
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

DanThe wrote:The reasons why I chose to stick with the Bruji apps are stability and speed. The number one reason is the Bruji team. As hard as it is to please everyone (mission impossible), your approach towards users has always been positive, constructive and professional. In addition to that, the forum community is pretty awesome too.

I had been meaning to write that statement for a while now so there you have it.

Cheers! :D
100% agree with you. The Team of Conor and his wife Nora are brilliant :D

With the forum COMMUNITY it is all about helping each other so that Conor and his team can get on with the main job of producing the great pedia's.

PS: Cornor is Alex still around as we do not hear from him these days ?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you very much. Those are very kind words and nice to know that the programs are being appreciated.

Alex, sadly for us, moved to London. He taking care of all the online things, from the web page to Doghouse. He is very happy enjoying London and the pubs, working on the iOS app for Clear Score. Will have to convince him to work remotely on weekends and continue to improve Doghouse. :D