Collection ID Field

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Collection ID Field

Post by DanThe »

I have unsuccessfully search for a definition for the Collection ID field and what it is used for.

Because I transferred my databases from another app, all the items in my collection show the number 16.

Anyone have an answer?

Thanks
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Collection ID Field

Post by FineWine »

Support > Help > Overview > Configuration > Menus & the Toolbar > Movie (CD, Book or Games depending on the program) menu > Incremental Collection ID...

Incremental Collection ID... - This menu command brings up a window where you can have the program automatically assign numbers, letters or some other personal ID system to your entries. If you already have entries in your database to which you'd like to assign an ID,

select all the entries to which you want to apply a collection ID

open the 'Incremental Collection ID...' menu command

enter a format for the IDs such as "AB1" or just "1"

press 'Apply to Selection' to have the program enter the IDs for the selection

To have the program add collection IDs in this format to new entries, check the box next to 'Increment automatically for new additions'. If you change the collection ID or blank the field out while you're adding an entry, the ID will not increment.

So therefore this is your own collection referencing numbering system.

If you do not want to display the collection ID column (but still retain the function) have a read here: Support > Help > Overview > Configuration > The Different Views > List Views

Also remember you can sort multiple columns. This is especially helpful in Bookpedia when you have book series. Here is how it works; Say, you want to sort by Author - Title - Series Title - Series Number, you can as the columns after Author can be sub-sorted in order. Read all about this ability here: Support > Help > Overview > Working with ......pedia > On Collections > Sort a Collection

Hope this illuminates some of the mysteries and beauties of the pedia collection of programs.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Collection ID Field

Post by DanThe »

Thanks FineWine!

This is similar to what was called Index in my old collection App. I just updated CDpedia by sorting by purchase date then setting my ID to MU-000000001. Now all my new purchases will increment to the next number. On to getting Bookpedia and DVDpedia done.

Cheers!