album artist instead of artist

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
paulk
Inductee
Inductee

album artist instead of artist

Post by paulk »

Dear all
While reading in well tagged albums (I use Audirvana+), I noted that all albums, where the artist varies between tracks, the entry into Cdpedia is cut into multiple albums. Wouldn‘t it be wiser to use the „album artist“ instead of „artist“ (per track), as denominator for one album? Any advice how to avoid this behavior of the program without having to correct hundreds of albums? - This way CDpedia has a very limited use to me.
Why does CDpedia ignore the „track number“ and the „CD number“? I have around 4000 opera albums. The listing of the tracks alphabetically does not make any sense. In addition the prigram happily mixes tracks of CD1 with CD2, CD3, etc. The result is rather chaotic.
Or have I missed some preference setting, which gives me „album artist“, „Track Number“ and „CD Number“ ? - Thank you for your kind help.
with best regards
Paul
Conor
Top Dog

Re: album artist instead of artist

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. I'll take a look at Audirvana, it might be tagging the albums in a different way. There is a compilation box that Cdpedia looks for before taking into account the album artist and grouping them all together. Could be that Audirvana is not marking it a compilation when several artist are involved.

It should be taking into account both the cd and track number. Like the compilation bit, it could be in a format or field that is not the one used by iTunes and the Mac in general.

Is there some sort of XML or text export from Audirvana that you could send me, so that I can look at those details?

Thank you for the help and the extra details.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Hi Conor,
I don''t know if it is the same case as Paulk wrote, but not all albums with different "track by track artists" are compilations.
I.E. I started to tag Gregorian albums (mostly cover tracks) with track by track info and "original" artist and putting Gregorian as "album artist".

Hope this helps, ciao!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you. There is a complicated zone, when there several artist, but are still performing as a whole that is also a common group. In these cases, almost always user intervention to get out just right is necessary.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

Hi Rigido,

I have been transferring the info from my old database into CDpedia in the last few years. That old database had an Album Artist field. After a lot of trial and error linking the track titles between CDpedia and iTune, I found out how to group variations of an artist name under that artist's name.

The example that I'll use is Wings Greatest Hits album which appears under Paul McCartney in CDpedia.

In iTunes, I set the following song info fields for all the tracks in that album as shown below:

- Artist: Wings
- Album Artist: Paul McCartney

In CDpedia, the artist name the Greatest Hits album is set to Paul McCartney.

Then I edit the album and go to the Tracks tab.

Once there I set each track Artist Name to Wings.

The result is that album main artist name is Paul McCartney but the album tracks indicate that these were recorded under the Wings group name.

Let me know if this is what you were looking for and if it is adaptable to what you want to do.