Importing Kindle or iBooks into Bookpedia Part 2

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
FineWine
Site Admin

Importing Kindle or iBooks into Bookpedia Part 2

Post by FineWine »

This is a split off Topic from a 2017 Topic: Importing Kindle or iBooks into Bookpedia to reflect the latest versions of Kindle & Bookpedia.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just discovered today that I can now import from my desktop Kindle App (there was an update 1 week ago) into Bookpedia but there is a small trick.

macOS: 10.14.5
Bookpedia Version: 5.9.3 Beta130
Kindle Version: 1.26.1
  • 1 - Open Kindle and ensure you have downloaded all books from the Amazon Cloud by clicking on the 'Chasing Arrow' icon top left by the word Library.
    2 - You can not select ALL the entries in the Kindle app so it is entry by entry action
    3 - Fire up Bookpedia
    4 - Left click and drag and drop the required Kindle book over Bookpedia or the Bookpedia icon in the Dock
    5 - This will bring up the Bookpedia Add Search box - Now here is the small trick
    6 - edit the ASIN number by removing everything after and including the first hyphen (-) eg. B07MDSQ2DH-0-EBOK remove -0-EBOK
    7 - Now Search
Perhaps Conor could code to remove these additional characters after the ASIN ? :D
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Importing Kindle to Bookpedia or iBooks

Post by Conor »

Is it always -0-EBOK or does it change? Maybe just the number?
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Importing Kindle to Bookpedia or iBooks

Post by FineWine »

Conor wrote:Is it always -0-EBOK or does it change? Maybe just the number?
After some experimentation by deleting the: ~/Library/Containers/com.amazon.Kindle/Data/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content and then re-downloading all my Kindle books within Kindle, this then created a whole new My Kindle Content folder, I discovered that Amazon Kindle have changed the way they now format their eBooks.

Where they used be listed in the My Kindle Content folder as 3 separate files (azw, mbp, apnx) per book, which made for a rather large folder, they now bundle each books separate files into individual folders using the ASIN as the folder title appended with a suffix ID which is different depending upon whether it is a complete book or a sample book. There are also other files within this folder besides the normal 3. these now end with the ext of; .res,. md & .voucher and with some books there is; .mbpV2, .azw.md, azw.res, .phl, .kcr, .apnx and with some books having an additional folder called resources containing 7 numerical files. All very strange and complicated.

Now I have only come across two of these suffix ID's:
_EBOK for whole book
_EBSP for sample book

NOTE: some of my really old books were not listed in the Kindle cloud which can be found in your Amazon Account under Content & Devices > Content. I had to re-download those, Luckerly they were free classics but they were also now bundled into the new ASIN folder structure.

On the Drag & Drop importation to the 'List View' area ONLY (not even the Dock icon) of Bookpedia the Add Search box is activated and populated with the ASIN number BUT with a different suffix ID than listed in the My Kindle Content folder in Finder.

The ASIN now reads:
B0799B6KWM-0-EBOK for whole book
B07QVNCKRZ-1-EBSP for sample book

Noticed the 'Underscore' is now a 'Hyphen' and a 0 or 1 has been added. If you delete out everything after and including the first Hyphen then you are left with a pure ASIN number which the Add Search box correctly finds in Amazon.

NOTE to Kindle users: You can not import multiple books from Kindle into Bookpedia at the same time as Kindle will only let you highlight one book at a time, there is no cmd-A or Select All facility.

Hope this clarifies things concerning the importation of Kindle books into Bookpedia :D
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Importing Kindle or iBooks into Bookpedia Part 2

Post by FineWine »

Conor I have noticed that to import via Drag & Drop of an iBook epub, you can only do so by dragging & dropping over the Dock icon. Would it not make it easier, especially for Track Pad users, to enable dragging & dropping over the 'List View' area as we do for Kindle books.

NOTE: For those of you who want to know where Apple stores your iBooks in Finder: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Done. The list view will now take "epub" extension files as well. It still switches over to the imported collection and then adds them, as I don't want to break the excluded import and add them directly into the selected collection.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

:D Thank you Conor - That works BUT though on Drag & Drop it shows the numerical RED badge of how many books you are Dragging it actually only copies and Drops ONE book at a time no matter how many books are selected.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Shouldn't be making changes this late in the beta. :D

Fixed in beta 132, along with URL dragging that I broke. :oops:
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

:D All good now - A big Thanks :D
elysdir
Contributor
Contributor

Post by elysdir »

Thanks for the info on this page! But I just tried to import ebook info from the macOS Kindle app, using the process described here, and it didn't work.

In particular, I dragged a book from the Kindle app into the Bookpedia app, and Bookpedia populated the search box as expected, and I removed the "-0-EBOK" part, and then I clicked Cancel to stop the search that was already running, and clicked the Add button, and pasted in what was left after removing "-0-EBOK" (which was "B00JOQ9NWC"), and searched again, but Bookpedia didn't find anything.

But even if it had worked, it would have taken a long time and been a pretty tedious process to manually add 60 Kindle books this way, what with having to edit the ID and then run a search through multiple sites for each book.

So I'm wondering: is there a way that you could have Bookpedia extract the title directly from one of the files on disk, like the book's .azw.md file? Or maybe a way to export a list of books from the Kindle web app to a file that Bookpedia could consume?
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Bookpedia 6.0.3 Beta 165

Yep Kindle import is not working again. :(

Apple iBooks is working great. :D
OogieM
Captain
Captain

Post by OogieM »

FineWine wrote: Yep Kindle import is not working again.
I'm having the same problem with version 6.1.0

I can't drag the Kindle files onto Bookpedia or figure out any way yo add them except manually one by one.

Are there any other solutions?