CDPedia and Catalina

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Lost Highway
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

CDPedia and Catalina

Post by Lost Highway »

Hi there,

before I start an update to Apple's "Catalina" I would like to know if the
Pedia Series is still working with the new Apple Software.
Is anybody having experience with that?

Best regards
Lost Highway
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: CDPedia and Catalina

Post by DanThe »

I have updated to Catalina and when launching the Pedia apps you will get prompted for file access permission once. Today I found this article about programs that access iTunes.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/07/ma ... e-support/

With the breakup of iTunes, I had a feeling that this would break the track links in CDpedia and it has.

I also tried web page links and the issue with the half white half web page remains as it was in Mojave.

I have not done any other testing (i.e. add, edit...) than the above.

Conor has made the core of version 6 to function on Mojave so aside the iTunes issues I didn't believe that there would be any major problems.

I hope this helps.
Lost Highway
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Lost Highway »

Hi Dan,

thanks for your infos.
At the end it sounds that it could be a good idea to wait a little bit longer
'til starting a Catalina update.

My Pedia Datas are more important for me than an Apple update.... :)

CUsoon Highway
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The only bug so far is the iTunes linking and sync, also a few users who deny file access and then the Pedias can't load the cover images (will have to do a little support write up for how to grant access post fact).

Will get the iTunes thing fixed once I resolve a bunch of issues with my computer that it not letting me work and build the next version of the Pedias properly. Hoping Apple will release a new Mac this month with the old keyboard style.
rpali
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by rpali »

Conor wrote:The only bug so far is the iTunes linking and sync, also a few users who deny file access and then the Pedias can't load the cover images (will have to do a little support write up for how to grant access post fact).
I'm wondering what is up with the XML files that iTunes generates. I had an issue that had me create a new library in Music and add all my files. There is no XML file, nor is there an option for it in the preferences like there was in iTunes. Is it still updated for those of you who simply upgraded your existing libraries?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

They got rid of the XML. The new iTunes does not even touch it, it's a remnant of the old version. There is a new Apple approved API for communicating with iTunes. The beta will be ready in a day or two, wrapping up the final touches on the new API, so that those running Catalina can go through the API instead of the XML file.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The beta is up with the change to be able to interact with iTunes again in Catalina and I'll release the official version in a day or two is no errors are reported.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

Hi Conor,

I used the link you have provide to download the CDpedia Beta which I then copy over to my Applications folder. When I try to launch it, I get this message.

"CDpedia Beta" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

Buttons: "Move to Trash" and "Cancel"

I tried downloading it again but still get the same message.
rpali
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by rpali »

Conor wrote:There is a new Apple approved API for communicating with iTunes. The beta will be ready in a day or two, wrapping up the final touches on the new API, so that those running Catalina can go through the API instead of the XML file.
Wonderful! Thank you so much...
rpali
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by rpali »

DanThe wrote:"CDpedia Beta" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.
For what it's worth, this is my experience as well.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you. Part of the change is a bunch of new signing required by Catalina. I was trying to automated to make it work with my workflow. I have done everything manually through the user interface. Do please give the beta download another try.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

I am able to launch this beta but the links to the music library files is still broken. I added a few new CDs yesterday. Usually when I open the album for editing the the links automatically are generated but not with this beta. When I click on an existing music file link, nothing happens.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for testing it. Back to the code for me.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

Hi Conor,

Downloaded the latest beta of CDpedia (6.0.2) and the links to the music library files now works.

I also tried web page links and the issue with the half white half web page remains.
rpali
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by rpali »

I'm not having any luck with the link to the library file in 6.0.2 and I suspect it has to do with the location of that file. How can I specify that location for CDpedia?