Pedia cover recommended quality ? (scan)

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
lucg2
Contributor
Contributor

Pedia cover recommended quality ? (scan)

Post by lucg2 »

Can you please tell me which quality is recommended if i want to scan a book a CD or a blu ray.
200dpi max ? more or less ?
or a size in pixel ?
Should I scan and save in JPEG or PNG ?
Should i delete the background (alpha channel) ?
Thank you.

Luc
rpali
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Pedia cover recommended quality ? (scan)

Post by rpali »

For CDs, I use a simple 800x800 pixels. The DPI setting makes no difference. I also use JPEG because it's good enough and saves a bit of space.
randian
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by randian »

Bear in mind that what a Pedia saves to disk is not what you drag to the picture window. It re-encodes the image, which loses quality. This cannot be turned off. If you want to preserve the original image you have to copy it directly to the Covers folder, replacing the image the Pedia saved.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

The pedia's have been coded for the jpeg format at 72 DPI and it will automatically convert to that. Obviously if you start with a higher quality image you end up with a higher quality on down sizing. Quality in = Quality out or garbage in = garbage out

Now having said that. That was in versions prior to the 64bit major overhaul version 6. There has been talk about transparent edges and using png formats. Whether this has occurred I am not sure.
rpali
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by rpali »

FineWine wrote:The pedia's have been coded for the jpeg format at 72 DPI and it will automatically convert to that.
I wonder why that is. The DPI setting on an image displayed on screen really has no effect.