Doghouse contribute fail

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
rpali
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Doghouse contribute fail

Post by rpali »

I've got a few CD entries that do not get a Dog Tag when I try to submit them. In fact, the submission is so fast that I believe the submission is not taking place at all. So far, this has happened three times in nearly 4K CDs.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any ideas how I might get it working?

Rick.
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Doghouse contribute fail

Post by FineWine »

No problems with Books or DVDs, if anything I find it can be quite slow.Wait 24 hrs and have another go.

Funny things have been happening worldwide with the internet due to the unusual load being placed on it during this lockdown period. It has never had this type of loading before.

Mind you I am in New Zealand at the bottom of the globe so you could say we are at the end of the line but overall the internet is chugging along nicely.
rpali
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by rpali »

Well, it's not a communication issue because I can submit other entries just fine. if I enter a new one and choose both the new one and one of these trouble CDs, only the new one gets a dog tag. So far I have four of these trouble CDs out of nearly 4000 entries, so it's hardly a big issue, but it's really strange. I've submitted hundreds since the first such entry, without issue, but I still can't get a dog tag for these four.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

May I make a some of suggestions:

1 - Within the Help menu there are some hidden maintenance actions you could perform; 'hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu and select - each in turn: 'Verify Database', 'Remove Orphaned Covers' and 'Clean Duplicates in Fields' these may not solve your problems but it wont hurt either.

2 - As there are only 4 CD's you could just delete them from your database and re-enter them.

3 - There is also one other thing you can do and that is to use, what I call a "Grease & Oil Change" maintenance program called Onyx. This is a FREE program that is a multifunction utility that you can use to verify the structure of the system files, to run miscellaneous maintenance and cleaning tasks, to configure parameters in the Finder, Dock, Safari, and some of Apple's applications, to delete caches, to remove certain problematic folders and files, to rebuild various databases and indexes, and more. I always use it prior and post system OS updates and about once a month. Also especially in this case concerning the new macOS 10.15.* Catalina which has dropped support for ALL 32 bit App's.

This program is available here: Titanium Software - Onyx. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

Hope this may be of some help
rpali
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by rpali »

Thank you for the suggestions!

I'm a long-time Onyx user already.

The hidden maintenance options in the help menu are interesting. Made no difference though.

So I recreated one of the entries after deleting the original first. *Still* no dice! I wonder if it's a weird character sequence or something. I have no idea, and I'm not going to worry about it. I'll probably get around to reporting it one of these days.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Have you actually tried searching for them in the Doghouse website ?

Doghouse may be rejecting them as they may already be there or as you say there could be a tiny error in the database.

Login to Doghouse and if you are permitted, click Admin Pages then Albums, find the album and then click on Edit and check the entire entry information out and Edit or Add missing information.
mommahawk
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by mommahawk »

The same thing happens to me in Bookpedia. From what I’ve figured out so far, it’s usually either because I forgot to add a cover or there’s some weird character in the title. When I correct those issues, they usually go through. HOWEVER, I have about 20 books for which I cannot figure out why they’re doing it. I’ve checked all the main info. The cover looks good, the title is correct, etc. and Doghouse will not accept them. I have not gotten around to deleting and reentering them yet though.
rpali
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by rpali »

Thank you all for your help. I never did figure this one out but it turns out that my contributions are largely gone from doghouse anyway. I posted about it, asking if anyone knew why and no one answered. I guess that's that. If there's bio reason to contribute, there's no problem after all!
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Conor is working on updating and debugging Doghouse in its entirety so let’s wait and see how things go.