MacOs Big Sur

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Lost Highway
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

MacOs Big Sur

Post by Lost Highway »

Hi there,

are the pedia's working with the new MacOs Big Sur?

Best regards
dave937
Contributor
Contributor

Re: MacOs Big Sur

Post by dave937 »

Not currently working for me on my 2019 iMac running Big Sur 11.0.1(build 20B29). CD and DVDpedia's launch, them immediately freeze up and require a force quit.
Lost Highway
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Lost Highway »

BAD news but GOOD to know.

Thanks for the information.
rclima
Inductee
Inductee

Post by rclima »

Hello!

Has anyone tried the beta version of the Pedias running under Big Sur? I haven’t updated to Big Sur yet, still waiting for an update on the Pedias 8) .

Thank you,
Best regards
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Fixed in the beta version and should have the Big Sur version 6.1 out by the end of the week.

DVDpedia
Gamepedia
CDpedia
Bookpedia
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

I imagine that the current beta releases are not universal and will have to run via Rosetta 2 on M1 devices.

Has anybody tested the current betas on an M1 Mac?

Just curious.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

Tested the latest betas of Bookpedia, CDpedia and DVDpedia on Big Sur 11.0.1(build 20B29) running on an M1 Mac mini 8 GB of unified memory.

Basic functionally seems to be OK including playing tracks from Apple Music. My DBs are located under a subfolder in the Documents folder in iCloud.

Did a clean install since my old MBP can't support Big Sur.

First impressions are that the apps are much more snappier and the refresh issues I had with viewing web links is gone.
rvaessen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rvaessen »

I downloaded and installed the following beta apps (for macOS 11.0.1 (Big Sur)) into my Applications folder: DVDpedia, CDpedia, Bookpedia (I don't use/don't have a license for Gamepedia). Note: My machine is a 27-inch iMac (2019) w/64 bit, ninth generation 'Coffee Lake' i5 chip. The CPU is 3.7GHz (4.6GHz w/Turbo boost) i5 processor (6 processors on one chip), with 32Gb of DDR4 SDRAM. Running macOS 11.0.1 (installed over the top of Catalina 10.15.7 (w/supplemental update) on 1 Dec, 2020.

* Tested CDpedia - Application launches fine. No beachballs, lockups/freezes requiring force quit.
* Tested DVDpedia - Application launches fine. No beachballs, lockups/freezes requiring force quit. Noted one issue. Access 'Bluetooth' from the 'Help' menu. My bluetooth devices were listed correctly. When I attempted to connect to my AirPods Pro device, I noticed that the message "Connecting to the device..." was displayed in the bottom left corner of the selection panel, even after the device was connected. Didn't test this in CDpedia or Bookpedia.
* Tested Bookpedia - Application launches fine. No beachballs, lockups/freezes requiring force quit. Noted one issue. All my collections (on the left side of the primary display/window appeared 'deprecated' (grayed-out). I had to click on each one (once) in order to the collection to appear 'active' (normal black color). I'm not sure why it did that?

Noted that all applications are unable to 'Check for updates'. The following error is noted when you select 'Check for Updates' option from the Application name menu: e.g. "Bookpedia can't be updated, because it was opened from a read-only or a temporary location. Use Finder to copy Bookpedia to the Applications folder, relaunch it from there, and try again." Same message (application name is dependent on the application in question).
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

All the desktop apps have been updated 2 days ago to version 6.1 for Big Sur

https://apps.apple.com/us/developer/bruji/id284595424. Scroll down and click on the relevant app to open up the app store app for that app or just search the app store for the relevant pedia.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

With release of macOS 11.0.* Big Sur and the updates to the pedia's to accommodate this new OS, I thought it was time again to give everyone some maintance tips re the pedia's and macOS.

Conor has updated the Apple App store and the Pedia's app and Pedia's Beta download pages to version 6.1.

It is always good protocol to do some house cleaning every once in a while and here are some maintenance tasks you could try.

Regular visitors to these forums will know I am big on the following:

1 - When I am updating App's to a new WHOLE number version or upgrading to a new OS version, or I know that there has been a major rewrite of the App such as with the case of all the pedia's for 64 bit technology and Apple's new OS 11.0.0 Big Sur, I do a complete uninstall of the old version prior to update. I achieve this by using a FREE program called AppCleaner which you can download from here. On using this App place a check mark IN ALL the boxes EXCEPT: ~/Library/Application Support/*****pedia , which is the second line down from the top. This is where your data base is located. Ensure that is NOT ticked. You will loose your Preference settings though but they only take a couple of minutes to redo. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

2 - These are the Folders and Files that should be in ~/Library/Application Support/*****pedia/ .

Covers
InfoTemplates
Plug-ins
Templates

AddMultiple.xml
autofill.xml
backup1Month.*****pd
backup2Months.*****pd
*****pedia Backup.zip
Database.******pd
Database.******pd-shm
Pocketpedia.******pd
Pocketpedia.******pd-shm
Pocketpedia.******pd-wal

The above entries in blue are Folders do not delete them or their contents.

AND of course do not delete: Database.*****pd OR Pocketpedia.*****pd

NOTE: ***** represents the particular pedia - Book, DVD, CD or Game

The Files with the suffix; .shm & .wal can be deleted as they are changed and recreated automatically again on each starting up of your pedia. You can think of them as a temporary index cache files. The Database and Backup files are self explanatory so not advisable to delete those. The .xml are again a type of index file for your autofill fields and are important so do not delete those two. You can clean these up to some extend within each Pedia's Preferences > Autofill.

3 - There is also one other thing you can do and that is to use, what I call a "Grease & Oil Change" maintenance program called Onyx. This is a FREE program that is a multifunction utility that you can use to verify the structure of the system files, to run miscellaneous maintenance and cleaning tasks, to configure parameters in the Finder, Dock, Safari, and some of Apple's applications, to delete caches, to remove certain problematic folders and files, to rebuild various databases and indexes, and more. I always use it prior and post system OS updates and about once a month. Also especially in this case concerning the new macOS 11.0.* Big Sur.

This program is available here: Titanium Software - Onyx. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

It is available in many languages and is regularly updated (about once a month).

4 - Also there are some hidden menu tasks that you can perform: 'hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select - each in turn: 'Verify Database', 'Remove Orphaned Covers' and 'Clean Duplicates in Fields' these may not solve your problems but it wont hurt either.

5 - And finally if your particular pedia is actually crashing do check for the Crash Logs. You can find the relevant logs in your Home folder under: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Send them to Bruji Support: support@bruji.com

AND of course always carry out a general machine BACKUP first. Remember that all the pedia's also have the ability to create individual data base backups: File > Export Collection > Backup > Location of your choice

Hope you find these Tips & Hints helpful :D
SimonenAgnes

Post by SimonenAgnes »

Lost Highway wrote:Hi there,

are the pedia's working with the new MacOs Big Sur?

Best regards

Yes i'ts working
SimonenAgnes

Post by SimonenAgnes »

Hallo,

i'ts working on my Mac system with Big Sur.

Simon