Multi-disc sets in CDpedia

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Schwa

Multi-disc sets in CDpedia

Post by Schwa »

I'm a relatively new user to the Pedias, having recently converted from the competition. My question involves CDpedia and the way it handles multi-disc sets after information is imported from Amazon.

For example, if I search for 724389544329, I can successfully add Massive Attack's 11-disc singles boxset. I then end up with 11 different "track ones," 11 different "track twos," 11 different "track threes," and so on. However, there doesn't appear to be any way of distinguishing between the different discs. In the info view, the tracks are sorted by number: all the ones, then all the twos, etc.

Is there any way to designate different discs? I would like to be able to set particular tracks as from "disc 1 of 11," or "disc 2 of 11," just like you can in iTunes. I could then sort by disc number, and have everything listed correctly.

Does this make any sense?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Multi-disc sets in CDpedia

Post by Conor »

Thanks for the bug report. Download the beta and re-add Massive Attack's 11 disk box set and the tracks will stay in the proper order. There is no way to specify a specific disk such as 3 of 11 like iTunes, but by staying in the proper order and not sorting all the first traks together you will be able to tell the discs apart. They will also be in disc order so the third group of numbers will be disc number three.
Schwa

Post by Schwa »

Wow, that seems to do the trick. I didn't realize at the time that I was posting a big report, but thanks for the quick response and fix, nonetheless!

All I need to do now is re-enter my box sets, and I should be good to go. Thanks again.

Josh
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

No problem. Sometimes a bug report is as simple as saying, "it does not do what I expect it to do". Glad I was able to help and I apologize I gave you extra work in adding your box sets again. :)
DRL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DRL »

I had the same problem when adding a 2 disc set last week: 5022810192824 - a Cleo Laine/John Dankworth set. I dragged the titles of the tracks around and they renumbered from 1 - 42. So what I've now got is fine.

However, should I download the beta you refer to? Will that interfere with my renumbering or anything else I have entered? And will it save me having to solve this particular problem in the future?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Download the beta as it's the fixed version. In the beta dragging around will not number tracks from 1 - 42 but keep the discs. For example dragging a track from disc 2 to the middle of disc 1 will flip it from disc 2 to disc 1. The only tricky part are the edges of the disc, CDpedia will prefer to keep a track as part of the disc it's already in when the drag in ambiguous. For example if you drag disc 2 track to the last track of disc 1 it will keep it on disc 2 and make it the first track. You first have to move it to the penultimate track of disc 1 to tell it you want in disc 1 and then move it to the end.

The beta will not affect old entries you have already added, it will only affect the way new entries are added and the way drags are handled in a multi disc set in the future. For example you would have to re-add 5022810192824 if you wanted to change the 1- 42 numbering created by the previous version.
DRL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DRL »

Thanks for that help. When I download the beta and get asked what Firefox should do with the file, what do I do? There seems to be a choice of Open with Stuffit Expander or Save to Disc? Are there directions about what to do after that?

Sorry to ask what is probably a very obvious question!

Is the way multiple CDs are handled the only thing which this download affects? In other words, is there the option of NOT downloading it if I am happy to play around with the track order on the rare multiple disc sets I buy?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

If you are happy with the way CDpedia works right now there is no reason to download the beta. If you decide to get the beta the it is compressed for a faster download. Tell Firefox to open it with stuffit expander and it should uncompress the program and place it in your downloads folder. You can then drag it to your Applications folder to replace the old CDpedia.
DRL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DRL »

I was meaning to download the beta, as you suggested. But when I went to use CDpedia a few minutes ago, I was offered the chance to download the updated version of CDpedia (was it 4.3.1?)

Are they the same thing? (Beta and 4.3.1?) Do I need both? Or just the new version?

Sorry if the answer is very obvious.

One more thing, I noticed a question, referring to DVDpedia I think, saying that the old version had to be manually removed from the Applications folder. Is that something I will need to do?

Many thanks for your help.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The beta is not the same as the current CDpedia. It is always a bit ahead of the current version. Even on the same day 4.3.1 is released we are already at work on a newer version that is the beta. In the next few days the beta will soon become 4.3.2, so you might want to wait a few days before upgrading or upgrade directly to the beta now. The suggestion about removing the previous version actually has to do with the individual users permissions on his computer. There are some users that are not administrators on their system and have no privilege to write to the applications folder. In these cases CDpedia might have trouble self updating as it does not have the privilege to replace itself. The CDpedia update then needs to be installed by the user via drag and drop and the administrator password supplied. The beta always needs to be installed via drag and drop as CDpedia will not self update to the beta version.