Avoid duplicates when adding multiple DVDs

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
alexvl

Avoid duplicates when adding multiple DVDs

Post by alexvl »

Hi,

First of all, i would like to say you've created a great application. It's way, way better than DVD profiler that I was using before.
However, I have a question: since I registered DVDpedia on friday, I've scanned more than 1500 DVDs and I must say it's a pain in the neck when I add multiple DVDs because it doesn't check for duplicates. I must say I have quite a few and it's a long process clicking in the list, deleting the last entry and then resetting correctly the incremental collection ID.
Is there some trick to solve my problem ( I still have about 1000 DVDs to add to the library.) or a function I haven't discovered yet?

Thanks,

Alex.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Avoid duplicates when adding multiple DVDs

Post by Conor »

Hi Alex,

When using he add multiple DVD panel or add first result automatically preference DVDpedia stays out of the way of the user and does not report duplicates. If you would like to get a warning about duplicates turn off the "add first result automatically option", you will need to press the return key to add but duplicates will be reported.

Regards,
Conor
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

What is the purpose/value of the "collection ID"? I haven't figured that out yet.
alexvl

Post by alexvl »

Hi,

Thanks Conor, I will try it right away. Again, great application.

Ual,

the purpose of collectionID is being able to physically find the DVDs you have in your collection (I put on each DVD a label with its collectionID).

Alex.
alexvl

Post by alexvl »

Hi Conor,

I just tried what you suggested. The "add first search result automatically" preference was already checked off. The "add multiple DVDs" function doesn't take into account this setting. The "add DVD" function does take it into account but only verifies duplicates based on their UPC/EAN. I would still get duplicates if I had a region 1 and a region 2 DVD of the same movie (which I have).

Regards,

Alex.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Sorry I did not phrase my earlier post correctly. What I meant to say is that both the "add first search result automatically" and "add multiple DVDs" panel do not take into account duplicates as they are meant for mass addition. The "add multiple DVDs" does remove duplicates that follow each other, as it assumes this to be a scanning mistake. If you're adding as you scan and the timing is more than 4 seconds then it does not believe a duplicate to be a mistake but a deliberate addition. One could pause the searching and add a group of UPC first and then duplicates would be removed when the searching is resumed. In the "add multiple DVDs" the duplicates are based on UPC/EAN as you mentioned. In the regular add it also based on title, so that different region DVDs would match. A trick for post deleting duplicates is the "View --> Show Duplicates" command in the main menu, that will create a new collection with what it believes to be duplicates. Hold down the option key when deleting from a regular collection to remove an item from the library and all collections.