Multiple DVDPedia Libraries

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
macnorton
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Multiple DVDPedia Libraries

Post by macnorton »

I have a question with DVDPedia. I have my main DVD library currently setup on DVDPedia. I want to know if it is possible to setup a separate library independent on my current library.

So for instance, I have a lot of custom made DVD's that I would like to track, but not in my main library. And eventually when I go hi-def, I would like to keep those separate as well.

Is there a way to have multiple databases or can you only have one and track it with different collections? Additionally, if you can have multiple databases, can you switch between them easily?

Thanks
ScottH
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by ScottH »

It's just like iPhoto -- hold down the Option key when you start DVDpedia. The first time, you'll be asked to create another library. To switch from one library to the other in the future, just hold down the Option key when opening the program, and you can choose between existing libraries.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

Are you sure this is the best way for you to go?

Myself, I would put everything in the main library, and use smart collections to separate out the special items.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

You could also create a library-independent collection. Just drag all the entries you want to keep separate into one collection, select the collection and choose 'Exclude collection from library' from the File menu. The collection icon will turn grey so you'll know it's not part of your regular collections.
Be careful though since anything you delete from that collection will be gone from your database.
jml
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by jml »

danco wrote:Are you sure this is the best way for you to go?

Myself, I would put everything in the main library, and use smart collections to separate out the special items.

I am doing exactly what the OP says - keeping commercial recordings in one database and home recordings in another. The reason is that I use them differently. With the commercial recordings, the database is for reference only. Once a DVD has been added, I never need to make any further changes to the entry. Whereas, with home recordings, there are constant updates, as tv programmes are added, watched, discarded, etc. I also use smart collections within each database, but I just find it makes sense to keep the two categories separate and it is very little trouble to switch between them.

Of course, this distinction won't apply to everyone. If both your home recordings and your commercial DVDs are mostly movies, for example, and you tend to keep them all longterm, then there would be no practical difference.

There must be many other situations where separate databases make sense - another reason to be grateful for the flexibility of the 'pedias!

jml
macnorton
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Multiple DVDPedia Libraries

Post by macnorton »

Ok so finally I get around to doing this. But a problem came up.

Prior to opening CDPedia, I created a folder called "Digital Albums" so I can setup for an iTunes import. I hold down the option key and select "Create new database". I point to the new folder I created and then all of my data from the previous collection gets erased. I did the exact same steps with DVDPedia without any issue...but CDPedia doesn't want to allow me to create a new database. Thankfully, I did a full backup before I did this, so my original library is safe. Any suggestions?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the bug report. It's loading the previous database early before you get to make the new choice. When you thought you had loaded your new database it was still showing the old one. The original library should have still been okay, you are very wise to create a backup as it is important to have them even if you don't need them. Download the beta of CDpedia where the issue is fixed.
macnorton
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by macnorton »

The beta fixes the problem. Thanks for that.

Additionally though, I had created a new "iTunes" folder to dump this database in, but the app created a second folder inside the one I just created. Initially I thought maybe I did it, but I double checked and I am pointing it to the created folder and not having the app create another one. This issue isn't critical, more of a nuisance than anything else.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the update and the information. In the meantime you should be able to move all the files and folder out into the top iTunes folder and then launch with the option key again and select the Database.pediadata file. You can then remove the empty inner folder.
macnorton
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by macnorton »

I am going to double check this again tonight to make sure it is not me causing the problem. Results pending.