film information source

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
MikeB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

film information source

Post by MikeB »

I have been using Imdb as the only source for film information in DVDpedia. However, in looking over my collection, I find that there are many, many errors. Perhaps the worst is the "Genre" field. Alfred Hitchock, for example, made the film "The Man Who Knew Too Much" twice - once in the 1930s and again in the 1950s. The script was the same, but the casts were different. The one from 1934, Imdb classifies as a drama, while the one in 1956 is called an adventure, even though the stories are the same.

My collection includes quite a few war films -- films about a war. Yet, about 70 percent of them are classified as adventure by Imdb. Films made in one country are listed for another country. I could go on, but I think the point is clear.

My question is: does anyone know of a site that contains accurate film information? I don't mind getting some info from the Imdb, but I'd rather not have to correct all the errors by hand.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: film information source

Post by kbarnes70 »

MikeB wrote:I have been using Imdb as the only source for film information in DVDpedia. However, in looking over my collection, I find that there are many, many errors. Perhaps the worst is the "Genre" field. Alfred Hitchock, for example, made the film "The Man Who Knew Too Much" twice - once in the 1930s and again in the 1950s. The script was the same, but the casts were different. The one from 1934, Imdb classifies as a drama, while the one in 1956 is called an adventure, even though the stories are the same.

My collection includes quite a few war films -- films about a war. Yet, about 70 percent of them are classified as adventure by Imdb. Films made in one country are listed for another country. I could go on, but I think the point is clear.

My question is: does anyone know of a site that contains accurate film information? I don't mind getting some info from the Imdb, but I'd rather not have to correct all the errors by hand.
I've noticed the same thing Mike. Also, when I imported my database into DVDpedia for the first time almost half had the wrong IMDb reference number and I had to correct 270 entries by hand! I thought then that all my problems would be over as the correct IMDb data would be imported but as you say, there are numerous errors. I just correct them by hand when I watch a movie so gradually the database will be brought up to date. I don't know of anywhere where the data will be any better than IMDb and I suspect there is no such resource.

Keith